Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 09:16   #1

Boat: Voyage 430
Raritan PH superflush stalls flushing

So I have my new Raritan PH superflush installed and working (mostly), but ran into a strange situation and I'm looking for feedback on what might be the problem now.

Some background... I changed all plumbing hoses, thru hulls, seacocks, vent lines, vented loops, and y-valves along with the heads. So this is basically a "new install".

Everything seems to work great. Head flushes great in both flush and dry mode most of the time. However, after flushing solids the other night (the solids already out the bottom of the bowl), the pump just stopped pumping. There was a very slight back pressure that would push the handle upwards, but nothing very hard. The handle was easy to move up and down and pump, but just nothing was happening. After pumping for a solid 30 seconds all the sudden it just started working fine again. What could cause this intermittent pause in pumping power? The crew on that side has reported that the issue has happened three times over a couple of weeks. They said previously if they just waited a few minutes and started pumping again it was fine.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Raritan PH superflush stalls flushing

A couple of possibilities: 1. an "overdose" of toilet paper...too much at a time of even the marine-rv TP can cause a temporary clog that dissolves fairly quickly. 2. Failing to add water to the bowl ahead of solids (use a cup from the sink) can also create a temporary clog.

Being over-conservative with flush water in an effort to conserve holding tank space can contribute to either of the above possibilities. If it's an uphill run from the toilet to the tank and/or it's longer than about 6', a bit of modification to that plumbing can help, and I'll be glad to work out the details of YOUR boat's plumbing with you if you'd like to send me a PM.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 12:19   #3

Boat: Voyage 430
Re: Raritan PH superflush stalls flushing

Hi Peggie,

Much appreciated. I may send you a PM but first I'll attempt your suggestion about adding more liquids to the bowl prior to flush. We never flush TP into the heads, so that part of it is out. Thanks again!
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, raritan