Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 17:08   #1

Boat: Wauqueiz Pretorian 35
Prodex insulation for icebox?

I am probably missing something but in researching insulation for my icebox rebuild I came across a product called prodex total installation. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Now first off I am not a very smart guy especially when it comes to insulation but What I don't understand is how this product can claim that it has an R-value of 16 yet it has only 13/16 of an inch thickness.The company claims that this R-value of 16 comes from 5 mm of closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with aluminum foil facing.

Sounds fishy to me. What am I missing? If it is the real deal it sure wouldn't be hard to get my icebox to R-30!
AMFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 17:17   #2

Re: Prodex insulation for icebox?

R value is normalized for thickness of the material. Basically a conductivity test at the specified thickness.

Can't say I have exp with thisproduct . Vacuum insulated panels for example can give you performance in 1 inch equivalent to nearly a meter of closed cell foam.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 17:53   #3

So adding this product to an existing insulation wouldn't increase my. Boxes r value by 16? Like i said i am kinda dumb.
Old 30-11-2016, 17:56   #4

Layering insulation would increase thermal resistance. It just needs to prevent bridging of the thermal plane.
Old 30-11-2016, 18:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Layering insulation would increase thermal resistance. It just needs to prevent bridging of the thermal plane.
I would add "unless it compacts the existing insulation" to your statement.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 18:44   #6

Understood thanks for the insight. I may try in on the garage door before i make it permanent in the boat.

As far as moisture barrier and reflective barrier, is it better suited for both to be on the outermost layer of insulation or innermost? My logic is thinking outer for both.
Old 30-11-2016, 18:53   #7

Boat: Freedom 40

Hmmmmm.... no free lunch, or any lunch at all... http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ed-bubble-wrap
Old 30-11-2016, 19:25   #8

Thanks bad. I understand a reflective barrier is important and even thought this isn't a bubble wrap insulation it seems to good to be true.
Old 30-11-2016, 19:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMFE View Post
Understood thanks for the insight. I may try in on the garage door before i make it permanent in the boat.

As far as moisture barrier and reflective barrier, is it better suited for both to be on the outermost layer of insulation or innermost? My logic is thinking outer for both.
Not sure what you're getting at. Air infiltration is like 99% of the moisture problem in refrigeration. You don't need to worry about it if the box is airtight.

Reflective barrier? Heat transfer occurs via conduction, convection and radiation. The insulation prevents conduction, air tightness addresses convection and exterior wall of your box handles radiation.

If you're talking about building science that's an entire differently ballgame because it is assumed that an existing structure cannot be readily made to be airtight so insulation needs to be designed to address possible moisture condensation and vapor barriers are needed.
Old 30-11-2016, 20:17   #10

Thank you Destiny, you have explained it to me better i your last post (or introduced the light bulb) better than anyone. I appreciate the insight. I also apologize for my ignorance. Thats why this site is so great.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55   #11

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
I am probably missing something but in researching insulation for my icebox rebuild I came across a product called prodex total installation. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Now first off I am not a very smart guy especially when it comes to insulation but What I don't understand is how this product can claim that it has an R-value of 16 yet it has only 13/16 of an inch thickness.The company claims that this R-value of 16 comes from 5 mm of closed cell polyethylene foam covered on both sides with aluminum foil facing.

Sounds fishy to me. What am I missing? If it is the real deal it sure wouldn't be hard to get my icebox to R-30!

The shinny bits on the outside of the insulation are for a radiant insulated barrier , for it to work properly there has to be an airspace between each layer . Once those layers are stacked and the layers are touching each other, they will act like any other insulation made of the same material. The foil is canceled out and normal conduction occurs. It may actually aid in thermal bridging , this is not desirable.

So no free lunch the stuff insulates like a mirror reflects the heat from the sun , hopefully the inside of your box insulation will never be tested that way .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:02   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...Reflective barrier?...exterior wall of your box handles radiation...
Not unless it is IR reflective.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:52   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
...Sounds fishy to me. What am I missing? If it is the real deal it sure wouldn't be hard to get my icebox to R-30!
It is bullsti.

Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap
This R-1 product can be used to make Halloween costumes, but should never be used as insulation

Read more: Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:55   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
R value is normalized for thickness of the material. Basically a conductivity test at the specified thickness.

Can't say I have exp with thisproduct . Vacuum insulated panels for example can give you performance in 1 inch equivalent to nearly a meter of closed cell foam.
If I understand this correctly the foil outer wraps are important to the measurement so 2 layers with no air space would be much less than twice the R-value of a single layer because the foil to foil contact is a good heat conductor. Does that also imply that installing tight to the existing box would be less effective then leaving an air space? Maybe somebody out there can put this in see Spot run language e.g. best icebox insulation if you have 2" space, 3" space, etc.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:21   #15

Rough rule is you don't want to compress insulation because it displaces trapped air. Yes foil is a conductor and you'll want to avoid thermal bridging.

Most commercial refrigerators are just metal exterior, expanding insulation and plastic interior. High performance coolers are often just a couple of inches of foam with a bit extra in the lid. Don't need the world's best performing vacuum flask with mercury coated glass liner vacuum sealed inside a polished steelcylinder.

Tags
icebox, insulation, rode