Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 09:09   #1

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 67'
Plugged HVAC water supply

I have 5 air conditioners aboard. Recently on failed due to insufficient cooling water. I used a descaler to clean the heat exchanger. In the process I had to change one of the hoses carrying hater to the unit. I sliced the hose laterally and a picture is attached. Note the marine growth (mussles ?) in the hose.

I suspect the other 9 hoses in the system a similarly restricted. Does anyone have an idea of how to clean them out so I can avoid replacing them?

Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clogged HVAC cooling hose.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	273605  
lspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:38   #2

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Plugged HVAC water supply

If you can remove the hoses, you should be able to loosen the marine growth, and then "rod" the hoses out with wood dowel or some such. If the hoses are more than say 10 years old, I would consider replacing them anyway. Do you use your AC's regularly? That seems pretty extreme growth if it happened in just a short time.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 19:58   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 67'

It happened in the last ten months after 22 years of no problem. The hoses are 33 years old so they don't owe me anything. I was in hopes that someone would have a simple easy solution for me. I am willing to replace the hoses if that is what I have to. The hoses are clamped down and have a lot of bends and twists. I don't think I could get a rod thru them. Perhaps a smaller hose would work.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.
lspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 20:02   #4

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

I just went through this, well replacing the water hoses. Ours were original to the boat, being 41 years old.

We recently purchased the boat, and pulled out both original HVAC's, and replacing with new. Regarding whether or not to replace the salt water cooling water hose, my thoughts were: The raw water pumps must be located below the water line, as they don't have any "lift" capability, so even if not in use, a failure of one of the raw water lines would result in an opening directly to the surrounding water . . . . And a 41 year old hose . . . . or even a 33 year old hose . . . . yeah, not gonna happen.

I replaced all the hoses, and used double hose clamps as required. Just didn't trust the old hoses in a usage that could sink my boat.

Oh, both of our HVAC's draw water from a centrally located sea chest, and one of our HVAC units is mounted literally at the transom . . . so about 35 feet of hose, and it wasn't easy to remove/re-run new hose, but you do what you gotta do! Just my thought process. Best of luck!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:14   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Can you get some Barnacle Buster intothose hoses to soak or recirculate?

Tags
hvac, plug, water