Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00   #1

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Outdoor Tankless Propane Water Heater ?

Anyone install one of these on a boat?
We carry lots of propane and have the space to mount one just outside the shower. Seems like the simplest way to install hot water.
Any thoughts?
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25   #2

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I've not seen these before and had to Google, which gave me this Eccotemp Tankless Water Heaters

Not a bad price and they would seem to do the job quite well. I'd be careful about where I installed it, making sure that carbon monoxide didn't end up in the living quarters.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Outdoor gas appliances are intended for OUTDOOR use only.

Eccotemp Tankless Water Heaters

http://www.globaltowne.com/manuals/125BO_English.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:10   #4

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
It would be mounted on the outside of the steel cabin wall with only the hot water coming inside and hooked up to tanks also on the outside.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
It would be mounted on the outside of the steel cabin wall with only the hot water coming inside and hooked up to tanks also on the outside.
Excellent!
They work well, for those with LOTS of fresh water.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:33   #6

I just brought one intended for INDOOR installation, it comes with an oxygen sensor, cuts of if the o2 levels drop. pm me for information as it is not at hand.
info(at)dive-condao.com. Cost me $110 for 15 lit min...
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:48   #7

I've got a Paloma tankless which was installed when I bought my boat. It has worked well but, at some point I will probably have to replace it. I came across this portable unit from Coleman:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: In hot water?
Which looks interesting and the price is right. It can be plumbed into the boats water and gas system if you want. Though with it being portable too you could use it in the cockpit, take it to the beach, etc... Since it also makes very hot water it can be kept by the helms man who can make a hot beverage on cold overnight voyages without leaving the cockpit. Seem to have a lot of advantages for a small cruising boat or as a backup unit for larger ones.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
One of the things I miss most about being ashore is the long hot showers. When I'm cruising, I'm more concerned about water conservation, cost, and quality.

The head/shower on my Tayana 37 isn't big, but I appear to be, at least according to the Taiwanese. So I prefer to shower in the cockpit.

I live in the tropics (well, Ft. Lauderdale is just above the red line on the charts) so needing to shower in the heated cabin isn't a problem. In winter, however, the cooler waters can be ... invigorating (sort of like a reverse sauna/cold pool exercise). I use a solar shower and find that 6 gallons of warm water is more than enough for a couple rinses. I cnaged out the short hose for something in the 10' range so that I can leave the solar shower either attached to the bimini or lying down on the companionway.

I'm not thrilled about running the engine to heat a 6 gallon tank even if I can charge the batteries, so mbianka's suggestion of the Coleman seems like a good idea. I've got my gas grill plumbed from the propane tank but carrying a half dozen green propane bottles doesn't seem excessive or overly expensive.