Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2018, 08:45   #16

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: OMG...what a bad day

While you're at it, replace your thru hulls and valves with those from Trudesign.
You'll never have to worry about corrosion and the don't seize up. Raritan distributes them in the US.

I won't point out that, for a lot less work, you could have trashed all that stuff you cleaned and put in a composting head.
Old 13-05-2018, 09:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
While you're at it, replace your thru hulls and valves with those from Trudesign.
You'll never have to worry about corrosion and the don't seize up. Raritan distributes them in the US.

I won't point out that, for a lot less work, you could have trashed all that stuff you cleaned and put in a composting head.
funny you would say that . That's just what I did and I just closed the valves and cut the hoses off.
Old 13-05-2018, 09:54   #18

Boat: Stevens 47

Pete 7, you forgot one step, which is where you put 5200 on the new fitting. You put it on before it goes in the bucket. Yes, you can use 5200 under water like that. After all, it is moisture that cures 5200.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 10:01   #19

Replace the broken off fitting. The seacock drip doesn't matter once the hose is back on. .. and my not drip when the seacock is reopened. Check/relube/replace the seacock next haulout.
Remove the bonding. I never liked it. My opinion is it's a corrosion inducer not saver.
The Cape Dory should have Spartan Seacocks which are great.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 10:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Remove the bonding. I never liked it. My opinion is it's a corrosion inducer not saver.
Bonding is just an American idea which the rest of the world moved away from.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 10:38   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Bonding is just an American idea which the rest of the world moved away from.

Pete
Pete my defender has full bonding with the terminus being a #4 divers friend no issues with the systems in 45 years.
But the boat was built when they still made real silicon bronze to.
Old 13-05-2018, 11:54   #22

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Ok, just an update. Things are not as bad as they first seemed.

Went back down to check on Mirage today and see if she was still floating. She was ! Taking a closer look at the offending fitting, I tired applying a little heat and was able to remove the threaded piece of the tail that was still left. It came off without too much effort. The rest of the thru-hull looks good, I did indeed bang on it with a hammer and it sounds solid.

However, it does seep a little still. Interestingly, the river was at a very low tide - and the boat does come to rest on the bottom at dead low - and I was able to open the valve and peer through it. Working it back and forth ( I have enough room to swing the handle 90 degrees either side - it looks like it must simply be worn. Wasp-waisted is term I believe ? It has probably seeped all along but I didn't notice it when the tail was still on because that brought the height up above the water line.

I suppose the valve could be lapped ? I've done that before in the Navy so I'm familiar with it. I think I'd rather just replace it.

So, bottom line (ha-ha !) for me is I think I will install a plastic style 90 for now and wait for haul out as per my original plans. Which will now include replacing the thru-hulls. I don't see an issue with possible flooding as the other end of the hose is the holding tank, which is essentially a closed system.

Any further constructive thoughts are appreciated. I have no interest in a composting toilet, thanks.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 12:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Ok, just an update. Things are not as bad as they first seemed.

Went back down to check on Mirage today and see if she was still floating. She was ! Taking a closer look at the offending fitting, I tired applying a little heat and was able to remove the threaded piece of the tail that was still left. It came off without too much effort. The rest of the thru-hull looks good, I did indeed bang on it with a hammer and it sounds solid.

However, it does seep a little still. Interestingly, the river was at a very low tide - and the boat does come to rest on the bottom at dead low - and I was able to open the valve and peer through it. Working it back and forth ( I have enough room to swing the handle 90 degrees either side - it looks like it must simply be worn. Wasp-waisted is term I believe ? It has probably seeped all along but I didn't notice it when the tail was still on because that brought the height up above the water line.

I suppose the valve could be lapped ? I've done that before in the Navy so I'm familiar with it. I think I'd rather just replace it.

So, bottom line (ha-ha !) for me is I think I will install a plastic style 90 for now and wait for haul out as per my original plans. Which will now include replacing the thru-hulls. I don't see an issue with possible flooding as the other end of the hose is the holding tank, which is essentially a closed system.

Any further constructive thoughts are appreciated. I have no interest in a composting toilet, thanks.
run her into shallower water and let her go dry at low tide and just replace the thru hulls a couple at a time it won't hurt the boat just secure everything below so it stays where you want it to. That's how I clean my hull all the time. ( you will lean over about 30 to 35 degrees. No biggie)
Old 13-05-2018, 14:55   #24

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would find that VERY encouraging. The alternative to discoveriung this while in port and close to amenities is having it snap off while in a heavy sea--and your vessel foundering.

This little episode might have saved the lives of yourself and anyone else aboard--

"Always look on the bright, side of your life--"
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 16:16   #25

Boat: Riva 48

Around here (Socal) we divers who clean the bottom on a regular basis. Most of them are willing to help change a throughull in the water. The process is quite simple:

1. Push the old throughull out, the diver covers the hole with a cone shaped plastic funnel or by hand.
2. You scrape/clean up the inside.
3. You cover the hole by hand, the diver scrapes/cleans out the bottom part.
4. The diver comes out and takes the new transducer/valve pretreated with Sikaflex. Pushes is from the outside in.
5. Tighten and finish the job from the inside.

It is really a 15 minute job with the right amount of preparation. The typical diver has done many of these and gives you comfort and guidance. I even saw one guy replace a shaft this way with a PSS seal. Just make sure you is Sikaflex.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 16:43   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
You could look at it another way. How lucky are you that you found the problem when you did!!
YES...with only WATER dripping...not the "good" stuff!!!!
Always best to find things like this at your home dock, rather than 1 day into your vacation. So turn that frown upside down... OMG...what a lucky day!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 20:36   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I am with the "it was a LUCKY day" camp on this one! Not to diminish your frustration, but when you said you had a bad day I was imagining something a little worse. However, having worked on two heads that both got me, heads are definitely high on my list of the worst things in life.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 20:38   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah I am with the "it was a LUCKY day" camp on this one! Not to diminish your frustration, but when you said you had a bad day I was imagining something a little worse. However, having worked on two heads that both got me, heads are definitely high on my list of the worst things in life.
composter and problems are gone . Plus 2 fewer holes needed in your hull.
Old 13-05-2018, 21:03   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Good chance there was a brass fitting on a bronze seacock.
Brass + seawater = bad idea.
I just discovered the very same thing yesterday when I checked all my seacocks
Old 14-05-2018, 01:49   #30

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Yes, after careful examination I do believe that the tailpipe was a dissimilar metal than the seacock itself, hence leading to its demise.

I still plan to replace the fitting completely when I haul out, but I don't feel there is a need to do so ahead of schedule now.

Thanks for all the constructive replies. And no, still not interested in a composting toilet !
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote