Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

New Owner Needs a Watermaker (I Think So, Anyway)

And what I know about watermakers would fit under my fingernail and still leave room for the latest edition of Chapman's....my client knows even less!
He's just bought a 70s 42' Grand Banks, which he plans to winter in the islands, complete with washer and pressurized flush water toilets.

Links to some good "watermaker 101" info will be appreciated...some recommmendations for moderate volume, reasonably priced, not TOO maintenance intensive, water makers also appreciated. I plan to forward it all to him. I've also suggested he join this board to learn from y'all.

Thanks!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: New Owner Needs a Watermaker (I Think So, Anyway)

Peggy, Here is a good source for information,
Marine Watermakers
My only first hand experience with a watermaker is with Village marine products and I highly recommend them. My only advise is to take the manufacturers specs with a grain of salt and oversize when it comes to capacity. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If CF member Tellie doesn't notice this thread, you might send him a PM. Whatever he doesn't know about watermakers isn't worth knowing.

It's good to have you posting again, Peggie - I hope this means the book updating project is ahead of schedule.

TaoJones
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

If he is intending spending most time at anchor and does not have a generator then I would recommend Spectra but if motoring a lot or has a genset then Village Marine all the way.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:06   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

It sounds like he has a water intensive boat like mine. I can't tell you which unit to buy but I will tell you that he should not waste his money on a 12v unit. If he has the washer/dryer he should have plenty of AC available. He should get a 110V unit that produces 40 gallons per hour or more. I have a 12volt Katadyn 160 and while it works as advertised I spend way too much time making water. I have to run my genset every couple of days to top up the batteries and could easily fill my water tanks if I was using a 110V unit of adequate size. Instead I have to watch my 12 volt usage and babysit the thing for 12-14 hours to top off my tanks. Even if it was an automated unit instead of the Katadyn, it would still use an enormous number of amps out of the battery bank to get the same amount of water. I'm personally looking at Seamaker from Cruise RO Water. I'm not making a recommendation for their product, but something like that would be much more useful in a water intensive situation.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
If CF member Tellie doesn't notice this thread, you might send him a PM. Whatever he doesn't know about watermakers isn't worth knowing ...
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40   #7
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If he has the washer/dryer he should have plenty of AC available.
Doh, missed the part about the washer. Big, simple AC unit is what he wants. Keep the electronics to a minimum, it's a pretty simple process and electronics are not really necessary to achieve it.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 19:47   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
It sounds like he has a water intensive boat like mine. I can't tell you which unit to buy but I will tell you that he should not waste his money on a 12v unit. If he has the washer/dryer he should have plenty of AC available. He should get a 110V unit that produces 40 gallons per hour or more. I have a 12volt Katadyn 160 and while it works as advertised I spend way too much time making water. I have to run my genset every couple of days to top up the batteries and could easily fill my water tanks if I was using a 110V unit of adequate size. Instead I have to watch my 12 volt usage and babysit the thing for 12-14 hours to top off my tanks. Even if it was an automated unit instead of the Katadyn, it would still use an enormous number of amps out of the battery bank to get the same amount of water. I'm personally looking at Seamaker from Cruise RO Water. I'm not making a recommendation for their product, but something like that would be much more useful in a water intensive situation.
Thats the way to go if he has a genset. Cruise RO looks well priced and simple.
Anyone heard of any negatives with CruiseRo ??
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32   #9
Marine Service Provider

Wow! What a gold mine of information! 24 hours ago I knew almost nothing about water makers...today I know almost enough to be dangerous...Thanks so much! I've saved the whole conversation and will pass it all onto my client. Hopefully he'll take my advice to join this group.
Old 05-11-2011, 17:03   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

TaoJones, GordMay, thanks for the compliments.
Peghall, you or your client can PM me anytime or post your questions right here. I'll be more than happy to help out. You wouldn't think it, but choosing the right watermaker is a bit complicated. It's very easy to make an expensive wrong choice. Finding out what the owners real needs are and balancing that with their boats capabilities can be a bit tricky. It's just as easy to undersize a watermaker, as I think Captain Bill knows, as it is to oversize a watermaker.
I am a watermaker dealer for many of the brand name watermakers. I am not a watermaker salesman for any one brand. Which is a big difference and benifit to the owner. My preference to any brand depends soley on the circumstances of the owner and boat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:35   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There are also a couple of good threads on here, although I don't see them listed on the bottom to the page. We have a CF member, ishipaco who used to repair watermakers and he has posted a lot of info.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ser-40828.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:41   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There are also a couple of good threads on here, although I don't see them listed on the bottom to the page. We have a CF member who used to repair watermakers and he has posted a lot of info.
That would be ishipaco . . . you won't find anyone on the planet with more knowledge re: PUR / Katadyn watermakers and a willingness to share his expertise freely..

TaoJones
Old 05-11-2011, 20:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Tellie! He's had to do some major refit/upgrades/repairs, so I don't know if a water maker is in his budget for this year...but unless I miss my guess, it will be next year.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Thanks Tellie! He's had to do some major refit/upgrades/repairs, so I don't know if a water maker is in his budget for this year...but unless I miss my guess, it will be next year.
Peggy--

The January/February 2003 Edition of Good Old Boat Magazine had an excellent article on the construction of a 20GPH water maker--expandable to 40GPH--very inexpensively (i.e. for less than $2,500). With the space your client/friend has aboard his boat, this would be an east build/installation for him. If you like you can PM me (via email) for more information.

Regards,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41   #15

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I agree with "Waterwayguy" We love our Village Marine and have no trouble as long as we keep up the maintenance. We also found quality and less expensive replacement filters and membranes from wateranywhere.com.

Tags
water, watermaker