Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 10:37   #1

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida
Spectra Watermaker: Experience w/ Sailfish Marine

I would like to share my experience with the company, Sailfish Marine, in Southampton, Hampshire, UK as a warning to potential cruiser clients. Recently I purchased a used Spectra Watermaker from Sailfish Marine on Ebay for $1,700.00 British Pounds. The seller said that he was a service provider for Spectra Watermakers and would install a new membrane and pickle it etc. for shipping. In the beginning of our correspondence, he was in contact with me, promising to ship every week. After 6 weeks he still had not shipped the watermaker, but never refunded my money. I was still hopeful he was on the level and honest but had to open a dispute because it was nearing the 45 day mark, when you can file a claim with Ebay. Up to the last day when we could escalate the case, he was still promising to ship, but no tracking information was ever provided. On the company’s website, they state that they are discontinuing Spectra Watermakers, but had a couple of units for sale at the PSP Southampton Boat Show, which were eventually sold. Good for them! Question: Why would Sailfish Marine string along a cruiser, who they know is likely on a budget, and who is likely their bread & butter? Did they hope we would reach the Ebay cut-off point on the dispute timeframe, so he could keep our money? There seemed to be no intention whatsoever in refunding our money, and we lost money in the meantime as the US Dollar went down in value, to the tune of just under $200.00. Not Nice.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:44   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico
Re: Spectra Watermaker: Experience w/ Sailfish Marine

Did you ever get the watermaker or the money back?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Did you ever get the watermaker or the money back?
No, never got the watermaker , just a promise from ebay of the insurance refund.
Old 14-11-2011, 03:27   #4

Boat: Belize Catamaran

Any more news on this dispute? I was thinking of buying a new Watermaker from Sailfish.

NB
Beres9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 05:54   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Good Luck with the insurance monies. Ebay can be tough but they're usually fair concerning these issues.
I'd be very, very, leary of buying any used watermaker online, especially from overseas, that has not been tested by an independant qualified tech for that brand. Shipping alone has got to be pricey. 1,700 pounds could be a steal for a Spectra depending on what model it is or it could be money down the toilet.
I really don't mind helping, all you guys have to do is ask me.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 05:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beres9 View Post
Any more news on this dispute? I was thinking of buying a new Watermaker from Sailfish.

NB
A few more lies and promises but I had received refund from ebay so I didn't care.
I wouldn't buy from them again.
T.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:10   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Very very very interesting iand rather silly with the WWW so easy to access and search. I was also looking to purchase a used Spectra Watermaker from this guy and he also went AWOL on me too. Luckily before any monies changed hands. I am a BIG fan of Spectra Watermakes but have decided to go down the brute force route with a Cat or a Wanner Hydra-cell pump and go for 20/30 GPH rather than 8 GPH with the Spectra and of course picking up a nice CAT pump for no money at all sorta helped that decision.

Probably going to build it myself as it just a big Mecanno style plumbing set.

Problemo is the boat being 4000 miles away and wanting to maximise the time spent sailing and relaxing when we do go to the boat and sail round the Caribbean and not find out that this really means boat fixing in a hot climate. So maybe an Echotech one would be easier on our time if a wee bit harder on our boat cruising account. Decisions decisions decisions
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:38   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

How did you pay for the watermaker? PayPal? CC?

Many CC companies will help in matters like this although I don't know how high their limits are.

PayPal is another matter even though it is owned by Ebay. About 6-7 years ago I filed a complaint with PayPal for something I purchased but never received. The purchase price ($125) was not as high as was your watermaker's price and PayPal stood right behind me. In fact I had to keep looking to my rear to protect my "behind me."

Finally PayPal found for me and agreed to send a refund AS SOON AS THEY COLLECTED FROM THE SELLER!!! Yeah, right on!

But a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum! PayPal became the target of a class action law suit; I received claim papers to participate. The suit alleged PayPal did not protect purchases from fraud. I filed my claim which was rejected by the screening committee because I had not attempted to collect my loss from my bank........which had zero to do with my purchase. I wrote a nasty letter to them explaining why I should not have to involve my bank. I knew after sending the letter, I would get ziltch from them.

NOT SO!!! Last year I received a check from the law suit for almost $200 for settlement to cover my loss!!!

If you don't squeak, you will not get oiled!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:32   #9

Yes, I paid with Paypal. The actual refund was issued by Ebay.
T.
Old 14-11-2011, 17:11   #10

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Yes, I paid with Paypal. The actual refund was issued by Ebay.
T.
Thanks, I missed reading your post where you mentioned that you got a refund.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, watermaker