Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 22:44   #1

Nasty Stuff Regurgitating into Heads when Under Sail !

We have a Raritan PHII on our Valiant 40. I recently rebuilt the pump, and it works great. But...

I am perplexed because when we are heeled over to port (the side the head is on), the contents of the holding tank revert back into the bowl of the head and, as you may imagine, it is rather unpleasant.

The first time it happened, I assumed it was simply a matter of remembering to close a valve before we leave the dock, but I can't find a valve to close...

We keep the switch turned to 'dry' and the pump handle down. There are two sea cocks- one for the intake and one for pumping overboard. The Y valve between the holding tank and overboard is turned properly to holding tank and locked. There is no switch between the head bowl and the holding tank.

Any ideas?

Becca
bec.chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 04:41   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: There is nasty stuff regurgitating into the head under sail!

Have you checked the joker valve for correct direction. and the tank vent for no obstructions?
Old 18-05-2011, 04:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: There is nasty stuff regurgitating into the head under sail!

Try switching across to 'overboard' once you clear the marina....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 05:58   #4

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Re: Nasty Stuff Regurgitating into Heads when Under Sail !

I agree with Blue Stocking..........but not for the same reason. The joker valve is essentially a "one way check valve", tha allows waste water to only go downstream. If this is an older installation, the joker valve is likely encrusted with calcium deposits or has something caught in it that will not allow it to close properly. It is a simple, if not pleasant job to replace it.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 07:17   #5

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'

Possibility is the flapper valve (part no. 1228CW) is not oriented correctly. The drawing in
http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...Ephiiv0303.pdf
shows the corrrect orientation. Apparently, there are drawings (including the one in Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual) that show the flapper valve turned 90 degrees from where it should be.

Can you tell I've been working on the head recently?
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 07:57   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

the joker valve needs to be replaced. It's a ten-minute job at the worst. I end up replacing the jokers on my heads on a yearly basis. Get used to it.
Old 18-05-2011, 08:27   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I have always wondered why it is called a joker valve. It´s no joke when it´s not working...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 09:08   #8

I replaced all of the valves- including the joker- when I rebuilt the pump just one month ago. The boat is new to us, so I don't know if this was happening before I rebuilt it. The flapper is oriented the right way- I made sure of that. I will make sure the vent is not clogged.

What I am understanding is that there is no switch to shut off the line between the head and the holding tank?

Thanks
bec.chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 22:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

The problem is twofold... 1. It's obvious that you haven't replaced the joker valve in quite a while (it should be replaced at least annually)...and 2. The inlet and vent fittings in your tank are in the wrong place (very common problem).

So...replace the joker valve ...But that's only a band aid. Turning the y-valve to overboard will block the backflow, but that's only a band aid too. If you're gonna do it right, you're also gonna have put a loop in the toilet hose unless you want to relocate the inlet fitting on the tank...which MIGHT actually be easier, 'cuz thanks to a li'l doodad called the Uniseal, it's not that hard to do.

It doesn't have to be a vented loop, just an arch in the hose that's high enough to prevent waste in the tank from getting over the top of it at maximum heel.

You'll also want to be religious about keeping your tank vent line open...'cuz if waste is spilling back into the head discharge line, it's most likely spilling into the vent line too...and that'll block it up in a heartbeat. So you'll want to backflush it EVERY time you pump out and/or wash to the boat...or move it too.

As for why joker valves should be replaced at least annually...

Blocking backflow is only a secondary function of a joker valve...it's the most important rubber part in the pump!

On the upstroke of the piston, a vacuum is created in the area beneath the piston. This causes the joker valve to close tightly, and the flapper valve beneath the pump to open, allowing some of the contents of the toilet bowl to be drawn into the bottom half of the pump. Then, on the down stroke of the piston, the flapper valve is slammed shut, and the effluent is forced out of the bottom of the pump, through the joker valve, and off down the line.

When the joker valve can’t seal tightly on the upstroke of the piston, no vacuum is generated when you pump it. So the more worn the joker valve gets, the less efficient the toilet becomes at moving waste out of the bowl and down the head discharge line.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, sail