Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 08:26   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: My 2 Dollar DIY Composting Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
So it's a bucket. Just say so. It's not hard.

As for the composting part, it takes months and it takes mixing. Just no. We're back to putting a dress on a pig. It is just mixed, partially decayed c__p in a bucket, not compost by any stretch.

Yes, a holding tank is a pig of a different sort. So is every solution. Well maintained, they all work. Personally, I find a holding tank very trouble free. I replace the joker valve every 2-3 years, replace the pump unit every 10 years, and pump out when it fills (free here), which is not so often when I use shore side facilities, which I'm sure the OP intends to. Much less labor intensive, IMO, than hauling buckets of c__p and finding dumpsters to double bag it and dump it. Hauling buckets of c__p home to finish composting does not sound better either.

But there is no question that a bucket will work. If you go climbing in the Tetons above the treeline you have to take a bag with absorbent. It's OK. but it is just a bag, not a composting head. Burying c__p in the woods is composting, but it's not a head.
Why the animosity? You obviously dont want a bucket. Fine. Why insist that others call their head a bucket? Whats the point?
Ive bern on boats with marine flush heads and fancy pigs dressed in ball gowns. The fancy pig doesnt stink. Ill take the pig.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:28   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A port a potty is cheap. Put a through hull through it's bottom and plumb it the a macerator and an overboard discharge and to be legal a Y valve and a deck clean out.

Just remember to step on the peddle for venting when hitting the switch for the macerator. Hide the macerator and the port a potty and switch wouldn't get a second glace if all you want is overboard discharge.

Be damned if I would manually empty one of them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:33   #33

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Jeeze get out in there and you will see about 75% of the countries(including our own) shoot waste right into the water. Maybe its not a true composter but again maybe it is if the waste is held long enough. At worst it dessicates it to point of it looks like dirt and isn't floating around the harbor like a blind mullet when emptied out. And at best its emptied out offshore so its not a big deal anyways.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:31   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
As for the composting part, it takes months and it takes mixing. Just no. We're back to putting a dress on a pig. It is just mixed, partially decayed c__p in a bucket, not compost by any stretch.
Decaying c___p is exactly what composting is. The only key is there is enough oxygen to that it's aerobic decay, so minimal odor.

Yes, a holding tank is a pig of a different sort. So is every solution. Well maintained, they all work. Personally, I find a holding tank very trouble free. I replace the joker valve every 2-3 years, replace the pump unit every 10 years, and pump out when it fills (free here), which is not so often when I use shore side facilities, which I'm sure the OP intends to. Much less labor intensive, IMO, than hauling buckets of c__p and finding dumpsters to double bag it and dump it. Hauling buckets of c__p home to finish composting does not sound better either.
The big difference is with a composter, you are looking at a month or more between hauling buckets and can usually just dump overboard when offshore. The bucket idea is actually great as you can have 2-3. If you want to mix, just put the lid on and rotate the bucket a few times. In reality, that's not even needed. The only people hauling it home are those who feel better about doing so.

Having had both, no question the composter is less work and you get to pick the time to do that work. When the big plastic jug of raw sewage with hoses and pumps has a problem and the guests need to go there's no choice but to try to fix it under way or cut the trip short so you can fix it back at the dock.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:55   #35

Someplace I recall "an approved marine head." Surely someone knows more that me?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:37   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Type III is a device that prevents the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage.* This type of device is typically a holding tank and may include other types of technology including incineration, recirculation, and composting.
From the USCG page
https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5213/msd.asp
And in reading it I don't see a plain old bucket on the list
Old 07-09-2016, 09:39   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Who woulda thunk a few pictures of my diy project would cause such a ruccus with some people.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:11   #38

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Did you see raindog's blog a couple years ago, where they built a composting toilet? They used the diverter from one of the manufacturers, C-head IIRC. Interesting project. Don't know if I would have gone with black paint like they did though.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:51   #39

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

In Merica all Marine sanitation devices must be Coast Guard approved. Some states may not bother you but other states it's a large fine even if you just don't have your y-valve properly secured ( standard head). .http://www.dbw.ca.gov/pubs/FedMSD/index.htm. I know Sun Mar has a Coast Guard approved composting toilet but I don't think any of their models have a urine diverter which is a big drawback. they're also very expensive and large. Okay after re-reading it only applies to installed heads. So maybe if you make it portable will be ok hopefully someone else will know the answer or do more research.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:33   #40

I hope it will fly for your needs. I've used a 5 Gal. bucket lined with a trash bag. A tie and a marina's trash worked well.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:36   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Who woulda thunk a few pictures of my diy project would cause such a ruccus with some people.
You are a natural!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:54   #42

Boat: Woods Sagitta 9m

'Who woulda thunk a few pictures of my diy project would cause such a ruccus with some people.'

Me! I blogged a two year cruise, including a couple of single-handed Atlantic crossings and describing dozens of Caribbean islands. Some video of the boat in various conditions, whale encounters and so on. The page that consistently gets the most hits is the page describing the composting toilet (which isn't really composting, more dessicating. Composting takes a year or two - I know because I also use a compost toilet at home.)

Here's the page again, for the half dozen or so that haven't already seen it.

I paid proper money for a separator, but I'm sure your funnel works just as well. Good one! BTW, no need to buy peat. Sawdust works fine, but also that dry crumbly seaweed that is all over the Caribbean - I thinks it's dried sargasso weed.
pir8ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 13:07   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Why the animosity? You obviously dont want a bucket. Fine. Why insist that others call their head a bucket? Whats the point?
Ive bern on boats with marine flush heads and fancy pigs dressed in ball gowns. The fancy pig doesnt stink. Ill take the pig.
Seadreaming and newhaul: No animosity, just say that it is a bucket. It is not a composting head. It does work.

Dulcesuenos: We moved on from sharing Cholera with each other and contaminating seafood by s___ing in the water. Fish poop does not carry human disease. Yes, I've been in the 3rd world; poor water is the leading cause of death. Thus, your comment is irrelevant to people who care about each other.

Valhala360: Well-maintained, they do not fail (no in 20 years for me), there is a pump that gets rid of the waste off-shore should I chose that, and if everything went south (it won't), I still have a bucket. Why would I cut a trip short? Silly comments, IMHO.
Old 07-09-2016, 13:14   #44

Boat: Creekmore 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I know Sun Mar has a Coast Guard approved composting toilet but I don't think any of their models have a urine diverter which is a big drawback. they're also very expensive and large.
The Air Head Composting Toilet is also USCG approved and it does have a great system for separating the urine. It's designed to fit in boats, so it's MUCH smaller than Sun Mar's. 6 years, wouldn't go back for any amount of money!
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 13:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It's not a ruckus, It serves us that have nothing better to do.

Tags
head, posting