Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44   #1

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Moody 27 Head Pump gaskets

We left the last week of May and got back here the last week of July. Somewhere around day 4-7 my son tried to pump the toilet and a gasket let go. It had probably not been used in 8 years. It sprayed water around it in the head. Yeah, gross.

I can't seem to find anything telling me the model number on it. It's an original Moody 27 head. I'm wondering what gasket I'm going to need. The pump still works and was making pressure before the gasket blew. I'm sure I could fabricate a new one if they are no longer available, but haven't taken the time to research the material they are made from yet or even taken it apart.

If anybody knows what it might be, I'd be grateful for the information. Otherwise, I'm going to take it apart and try to find a gasket set to put it back together by cleaning it thoroughly and toting it to West Marine, (ugggh).

Meanwhile I'm waiting for this storm to pass by us. Irma is still putting some strong winds into Pensacola. It makes it hard to work on anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I should consider replacing the entire pump it would be good to know before I just replace a gasket and the pump fails because it's in similar condition. It pumps fairly easy, but you can feel resistance (this is normal I thought). Thanks guys!
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 13:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Moody 27 Head Pump gaskets

If you can post a photo of the pump (all bowls look alike) that includes the top of it, I can ID it for you. You say it's original to the boat...how old would that make it? Everything has a lifespan, so If it's more than 10 years old, you'll prob'ly be better off replacing the pump. When I see what you have I should know what's best.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 13:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
If you can post a photo of the pump (all bowls look alike) that includes the top of it, I can ID it for you. You say it's original to the boat...how old would that make it? Everything has a lifespan, so If it's more than 10 years old, you'll prob'ly be better off replacing the pump. When I see what you have I should know what's best.
I've got to get out to the boat this week and take some other pictures for work that I've got to get done. Right now we've got Hurricane Irma's remnants making some pretty strong gusts here, so I've got to wait for it to pass. I'm speculating that it's from 1983, but that is really just the year of the boat's manufacture. It may have been replaced since then, but it doesn't look like a Jabsco. Looking at other Moody's pictures it seems like they are the same.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them and if I've got to replace the pump too, then so be it. My wife is adamant that she's not going sailing until the head is in working order. I don't even blame her. We went a pretty long way without it, my 11 year old son and I, but we were on a mission and made the best of it.

Thanks for the reply.

p.s. if it's original it's from England 1983 time frame and is a pump style.
Old 12-09-2017, 15:04   #4

Here's the pump. It has a sticker that has Bry? 59128-0000 Canada on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15052537193101263913932.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	155978   Click image for larger version

Name:	15052537403611628037501.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	155979  

Old 12-09-2017, 18:32   #5

Boat: Moody 425

Check on the Moody Owners Assoc website. You can ask other M27 owners if they know. However, a completely new head/pump is not too much $ and it will probably work better!
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 20:28   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Thats an old Brydon Boy. I believe the RM 69 Marine toilet - RM69
is identical.

Brydon boy compatibility with RM69?

If it is ( all care... no responsibility ) I would, considering its age, simply be buying a new pump assembly.

EDIT And also... I would be replacing the joker valve at the same time....
Old 14-09-2017, 23:19   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

And also also... the type of failure suggests a 'logjam' down stream from the pump.... I'd suggest buying a new hose while you are picking up the new pump........

Tags
gasket, head