Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 07:32   #1

Microphor rejuvenation

Greetings all. We are approaching the end of fixing up our trawler. One of the partially completed jobs is reviving our Microphor MSD. It has been inactive for quite a few years...an unknown number, but definitely more than 5, probably less than 10.

My father, the resident boatworker, has opened up the tank and vacuumed out about 25-30 pounds of sediment (sandy brown granules). There was no notable mold, and the bark seems to be in good shape, not brittle.

After seeing that the bark appears to be decent, we want to try and restart the system. We have been told that the suggested chlorine is $270 a bucket and $190 for the aerobic bioculture. This is a pretty expensive experiment if it does not work out. We hear that pool chlorine pucks will work (albeit not as well), but how about the culture? Has anyone found a more affordable alternative to reactivating the MSD? I was thinking about trying Bio-Tab® by Century Chemical, Septic Tank Treatment for Less -- (800) 348-3505 or something similar.
Therapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 09:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Microphor rejuvenation

There are a number of bacteria products that will work even better theirs and cost considerably less....Raritan K.O. would be a good choice. Chlorine is another matter because USCG certification is based on type and amount, which would make the rate at which any pucks dissolve important.

Microphor only makes Type II MSDs (required for boats 66' + LOA)...under 65' can use a Type I. They did make a Type I, but only for a short time more than 10 years ago....price and complexity prevented it from being competitive in the market. The owners manual will tell you whether yours is a Type I or II...if you don't have a manual contact Microphor Microphor Marine Sanitation Devices and Sump Tanks If yours is a Type II, you may find it more cost effective to clean it up and put it on eBay and replace it with a Type I. The Raritan ElectroScan and PuraSan are the most popular and have been top rated for decades.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 09:57   #3

It is the type II.

If we can not get it going, we intend on just switching it over to a holding tank instead of installing an electrosan or similar.

I looked up KO, but could not see if it is aerobic.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:11   #4

Ha! Just found http://raritaneng.com/pdf_files/hold...nk/L165htw.pdf which indicates it KO is indeed aerobic!