Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2022, 13:54   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2
Marine AC using fresh instead of raw water?

I'm interested in installing a AC unit on our boat to control humidity when away, and to cool/warm the cabins every now and then. But I don't want to add a thru-hull for it if I can avoid it: I don't have a haul-out scheduled soon and would rather avoid the hole. At the same time, our water heater is defective and needs to be replaced. So I got thinking.

Could I plumb a loop in the hot water line, before the water heater, that would go through the AC unit instead of the raw water? I'd pre-warm the water headed for the water heater, and avoid all the complications of the raw water intake going in the AC unit. When no one is showering, the AC unit would loop the water until it gets progressively warmer (and my guess is it won't ever get so warm that the AC won't be able to work anymore). When someone uses hot water, the AC would be getting cold water from the tank, so no issues there.

Has anyone done this?

Tags
marine, raw water, water