Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 22:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
Jabsco PAR-MAX HD4 water pump Slow to Prime

Hi

I’ve just installed the Jabsco PAR-MAX HD4 12v (part# Q401J-115S-3A) after my Jabsco PAR-MAX 4 (part # 31620-7005) failed. The boat is a Lagoon 450 and 3 years old, the original water pump was installed when the boat was built.

I have a Jabsco accumulator tank which is part of the Jabsco 52520 - Series WPS Single Stack.

The new pump is slow to prime on 1 tap (faucet) which is the galley mixer with a pullout nozzle. This happens on both hot and cold. When I turn on the mixer, the pump runs but the tap slows to a small drizzle before the pump primes and starts to pump properly. This can take up to a minute or so. Occasionally the pump does not prime at all and I need to run one of the other taps to get it to prime. The old pump did not do this.

All other taps (all mixers) onboard (9 in total) function normally, with the pump starting and priming within seconds.

I have swapped out the galley mixer pull out hose for a new one as I thought there may be a blockage or a kink in it. No change. I also manually pressurised the accumulator tank to 18 psi as per instructions. No change.

There are no leaks in the system, I have checked every hose onboard and there are no leaks.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can resolve it?

Thanks
Michael

P.S According to Xylem/Jabsco, the original Jabsco PAR-MAX 4 (part # 31620-7005) was superseded by Jabsco PAR-MAX 4 (part# 31620-0092) which in turn was superseded by Jabsco PAR-MAX HD4 (part# Q401J-115S-3A).
Sea-change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 00:08   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Jabsco PAR-MAX HD4 water pump Slow to Prime

My guess is that the rubber hose of the pull-out galley tap is playing tricks with the pressure switch of the pump. Can you adjust the pressure switch detection pressure?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 00:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
My guess is that the rubber hose of the pull-out galley tap is playing tricks with the pressure switch of the pump. Can you adjust the pressure switch detection pressure?
I do not think this pump has an ability to adjust the pressure switch detection.
Old 17-07-2022, 03:12   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Have you bled the system. All outlets running for several mins then shut off one at a time.

Alternatively, bypass the accumulator altogether and see if the pump works ok, you may find you don't need it at all.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 14:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Have you bled the system. All outlets running for several mins then shut off one at a time.

Alternatively, bypass the accumulator altogether and see if the pump works ok, you may find you don't need it at all.
I’ve bled the system many times and do so each time i start the pump.

Haven’t bypassed the accumulator yet, will try that today.

Just wondering if the new pump could have a faulty pressure switch, as I’m now seeing the same behaviour occasionally happening randomly on other taps.
Old 17-07-2022, 16:54   #6

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

It cost me to buy a new pump. It was simple connector sucking in air from water tank to the pump inlet. Purging the system might help as well - water accumulator tank should have purging valve on top.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 17:21   #7

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Every issue I've had like this has been due to air getting into the system.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 17:38   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Agree you have an air leak and the diverted/mixer is likely the source.
Old 17-07-2022, 17:49   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If I understand the problem, it sure sounds like a bad valve in the pump. Bad valve would make it hard for the pump to prime and slow to come up to pressure. It’s pretty unlikely in a new pump but if you’ve eliminated the other possibilities, check the valves.
Old 17-07-2022, 23:25   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Could also be debris in the pump head. I have seen Teflon tape do this
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 02:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

With all these bloody useless pumps... try to mount it below the freshwater tank. Sometime it helps..
btw. I have a pump that is below the tank and I have to bleed it every time the tank runs out of water. And they dare to sell us this scrap!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:41   #12

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Same pump same problem. One time was crud under valve but all the faucets were effected. The other time I was pulling air on the inlet side. Not a lot but enough to make the pump run as you describe. All it took was a 1/4 turn of a hose clamp on an old splice the previous owner installed. I have found any air in the system, either before or after the pimp will confuse the pressure switch. My pump also likes a large accumulator with 20 to 25psi air pressure on the bladder. Taps the farthest from the pump are the least sensitive to air in the system. If you have hoses and clamps on the inlet side try tightening them.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, pump, water, water pump