Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-07-2008, 01:59   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Least expensive functional 12volt refer solutions

Okay, so I've invested a good 20-30 hours in reading and thinking and it is time to throw myself on the mercy of the court. You guys go get your oars- I will be over here grabbing my ankles.

Current hot ticket item for me is my refrigeration solution. I want to solve this one so I can address batteries and solar...

I posted in another thread a question about using a dorm style mini-fridge. I am still not 100% clear on why/if this won't work. I spent some time on Mr. Kollmann's site and it sounded like installing with proper insulation and ventilation would be fine- but he never comes out and says this so I am not sure if I got the right message. I also called the Technautics guys today and while I love the schpeal- they are WAY outside of my price range.

I am a big sissy and want access to cold water. Food preservation is an added bonus. I *feel* like I've got enough dollars left in my build-out budget to make this happen if I am careful/creative and avoid West Marine style "marine grade" pricing.

The boat has an existing built in refer that does not work. It is a 110 system and about 4.5 feet... Not sure about the insulation- or even how to check without cutting stuff open. I am willing to go there though if modifying it is the right way to go.

I am hoping for 3+ cubic feet and hoping for ice but can live without that. I would jump for joy if I could get this for less than 60AH but I am emotionally preparing myself for 75ish.

Given all that... What is the least expensive approach? Could I get away with an RV/dorm unit and some extra ducting and fans? Could I cannibolize the Norcold unit I mentioned in the other thread to make something in the original built in space? Could I install the Cool Blue system SO DAMN WELL that it actually generates energy and would thereby eliminate my need for solar panels thusly allowing me to reallocate that part of my budget?

Eek,
J