Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2024, 07:35   #1

Boat: CAL, CRUISE, 35
Kink in waste inlet hose. Add elbow or new hose with new hole

The first photo of the hose is upside down. Apologies. Hello everyone, have a 70s boat with a retrofitted holding tank. The implementation was not perfect.

There is a kink in the holding tank inlet hose between the toilet, wall, and tank.

My question is whether I should add a 90 degree fitting at the kink. Or if I should make a new hole at a higher point in the wall to use one solid line of hose. Would this cause an issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	285591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	285592  

Name:	IMG_3762.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	285593  
SVMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 07:47   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Kink in waste inlet hose. Add elbow or new hose with new hole

I would try to make the existing location work first. Installing a 90 is common practice. I would make the pipes on each end long enough to attach hoses in convenient, reachable places.

Obviously, flush a lot of freshwater before starting work. Vinegar first, sitting for 15 minutes, will also help.
Old 23-01-2024, 07:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Obviously, flush a lot of freshwater before starting work. Vinegar first, sitting for 15 minutes, will also help.
Yes, I am dreading what shall come out
Old 23-01-2024, 07:55   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Less fittings is better, especially 90 degree elbows. It looks to me like if you moved or angled the hole (or a bit of both) slightly you could get rid of the existing 90 (which appears to be contributing to the problem) and just have a hose-only run between toilet and tank with manageable sweeping curves. I don't think you need to move it nearly as far as you showed on your sketch. 10 minutes with a rasp / half round file / grinder to take the "corner" off the bottom of the hole (towards the tank) so the hose can pass through at an angle will likely get you there.

Also, soaking the new hose in hot water will make it more pliable and ease getting it routed.

If it were me... pull the "tank" end hose off the 90 elbow while keeping it kinked and put the stub of 90 in a heavy plastic bag and tape/hoseclamp it in place. Lift it over the stringer behind it to unkink the hose and let whatever is in there drain into the bag. Cut the hose above the elbow and put the stinky bag in a bucket and off the boat or at least on deck, then disconnect the remainder of the hose from the head and pull it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	285608  
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 08:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
Less fittings is better, especially 90 degree elbows. It looks to me like if you moved or angled the hole (or a bit of both) slightly you could get rid of the existing 90 (which appears to be contributing to the problem) and just have a hose-only run between toilet and tank with manageable sweeping curves. I don't think you need to move it nearly as far as you showed on your sketch. 10 minutes with a rasp / half round file / grinder to take the "corner" off the bottom of the hole (towards the tank) so the hose can pass through at an angle will likely get you there.

Also, soaking the new hose in hot water will make it more pliable and ease getting it routed.

If it were me... pull the "tank" end hose off the 90 elbow while keeping it kinked and put the stub of 90 in a heavy plastic bag and tape/hoseclamp it in place. Lift it over the stringer behind it to unkink the hose and let whatever is in there drain into the bag. Cut the hose above the elbow and put the stinky bag in a bucket and off the boat or at least on deck, then disconnect the remainder of the hose from the head and pull it out.
This method sounds slightly less frightening

Tags
elbow