Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2021, 11:17   #1

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28
Jabsco manual toilet malfunction

Essentially the hand pump isn't bringing in water. So I replaced the head gasket as recommended. When the bowl is empty, no suction. If I prime it with a bowl of water and start pumping the water out on the empty bowl setting and then switch to fill the bowl it does pull some water into the bowl but not enough to really get the water level up. It's like the prime doesn't hold. I've greased the o-ring on the bottom of the pump and the shaft. But when the bowl is empty it doesn't self-prime like it used to. I assume there's another gasket or o-ring that needs attention but can't find any information other then the two procedures I've already done. What other part needs work?? Thanks.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 14:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jabsco manual toilet malfunction

Jabsco toilets have a pretty short lifespan and the first problem is always ONLY the first problem. So I suggest you just replace the pump. I know a lot of Jabsco manual toilet owners who do that every spring as preventive maintenance. Price is only about 15% higher than the rebuild kit and it's a LOT easier job: just remove the hoses and the bolts that hold the pump onto the base...swap out the pump, replace the hoses and the bolts and you're done.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 14:55   #3

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Jabsco manual toilet malfunction

Listen to Peggie. Just replace the pump. Don't know if the replacement pump come with a new joker valve, but change that also while you have the thing apart.

Tags
fun, jabsco, malfunction, oil