Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 20:32   #16

Re: Jabsco Electric Toilet Woes

Just bought this trawler . It has a jabsco electric toilet. The toilet flushes and fills and works fine, but I'm getting some water draining out of the two holes in the pump/impellar housing. Is there a shaft seal that could be bad ? Will a rebuild kit have this and take care of this problem ? Are those two hole supposed to be plugged ?
marty hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:03   #17

I have a head with its top just below the waterline. I have no anti-siphon device and the times the bowl has been accidentally filled (due to clogged joker valve) it has not been dangerous. With valves I direct the waste overboard or to the holding tank which is a couple of feet above sea level. I have installed an additional one-way valve (joker type) which makes the accidental bowl filling less frequent. The overboard valve is closed at night and when leaving the boat. I am now going to exchange the head (old extremely noisy and worn and with some cracks) with a Jabsco Quiet Flush (seawater) and at the same time I will exchange the sanitary hose with a new one. I am then considering adding an anti-siphon valve but that has to be installed above sea level and that will imply installing a sanitary hose which will be much longer than in my previous installation. I use a 38 mm sanitary hose. This longer hose must obviously cause an increased resistance but will it be of such a magnitude that the flush process will be considerably influenced? I also plan to hook it up to the bow thruster battery, which is very close, with thick cables to reduce voltage drop. Does anyone have some good tips about my plans?

Regards Eivind
eivindch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindch View Post
I have a head with its top just below the waterline. I have no anti-siphon device and the times the bowl has been accidentally filled (due to clogged joker valve) it has not been dangerous. With valves I direct the waste overboard or to the holding tank which is a couple of feet above sea level. I have installed an additional one-way valve (joker type) which makes the accidental bowl filling less frequent. The overboard valve is closed at night and when leaving the boat. I am now going to exchange the head (old extremely noisy and worn and with some cracks) with a Jabsco Quiet Flush (seawater) and at the same time I will exchange the sanitary hose with a new one. I am then considering adding an anti-siphon valve but that has to be installed above sea level and that will imply installing a sanitary hose which will be much longer than in my previous installation. I use a 38 mm sanitary hose. This longer hose must obviously cause an increased resistance but will it be of such a magnitude that the flush process will be considerably influenced? I also plan to hook it up to the bow thruster battery, which is very close, with thick cables to reduce voltage drop. Does anyone have some good tips about my plans?

Regards Eivind
One tip -- install the vented antisiphon loop IMMEDIATELY. Nothing but a joker valve between you and your boat sinking??? Crazy.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
One tip -- install the vented antisiphon loop IMMEDIATELY. Nothing but a joker valve between you and your boat sinking??? Crazy.
Well, there are 2 joker valves and the top of the bowl is just above the water line. Also, I do not leave the boat or go to sleep unless the overboard valve is closed.

Eivind
eivindch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 22:15   #20

after today of working the perverbial toilet over the side goes electric back comes hand pump
tomharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco