Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 22:52   #1

Boat: Swanson 38'
How often should I change a Jabsco Aqua Filta cartridge?

I have had the current cartridge installed since 24.4.15. Water initially comes out of tap clear however very smelly with a taste, the smell and taste disappears after running tap for several minutes. Apart from wasting precious water, is the filter the cause of the problems?
Bonito38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 23:04   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: How often should I change a Jabsco Aqua Filta cartridge?

As a professional in the drinking water field since 1984, I would suggest installing a new filter and then tasting the water. If biological contaminants collect on the filter, they may multiply there, providing a reservoir of contamination, some of which may find its way through the filter. How often is water used and howmany gallons of water have been filtered in the past year? What is the quality of the source water? Is it disinfected, for example with chlorine?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 23:26   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What does the water taste and smell like directly from the tank? do you really need a filter?

We are lucky enough to have a clean tank even though its 29 yrs old so removed the water filter. It could go back but I would prefer to know about a problem sooner rather than have the filter mask the problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 23:39   #4

I appreciate advice to date. Will take a bit of work to open up the water tank inspection ports, I'll check them out when next on the yacht. I would really prefer to pump straight from the tanks as replacement filter cartridges cost AUD$89.95 each, bit expensive to be replacing them annually if that's what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks for suggestions to date.

Jeff
Old 13-05-2017, 23:49   #5

Thanks Steve,
The water is used and topped up regularly. The system comprises two tanks totalling 250 litres. I have not had issue with smell or taste until the last, say, 2 months.

Thanks Steve.
Old 14-05-2017, 08:53   #6

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Good points from Pete7. You might just remove the cartridge and see how it goes for a while. I just looked up the Aqua Filta. It uses activated carbon. Its effectiveness diminishes with use. Is the source water from a municipal system? Does it have a residual of disinfectant such as chlorine?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 10:14   #7

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

WE ;oad up with water from a marina which is usual town domestic supply. I have a filter 12 inches from the cold tap, I like filtered water. Never had a problem with taste of smell. I have the Aqua filter fitted which I change every year. WE dont lay the boat up, she is on the pontoon all year round. I have never had to put any form of cleaning agent in the tank and we have had the boat in the water for 10 years. She only comes out for a scrub and anti-foul. Hope that helps. I also used to caravan and we never had any problem without a filter. I just used to keep the water tanks full over the winter with some water purifying tablts. Then an empty followed by a flush though before use. This is the UK, where you are could be different. Dip the tank and do a smell taste test.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 17:35   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

For the last three years we have used the same Jabsco Aqua Filter under our sink for our drinking water (from a water maker). The instructions say to change it every 6 months. I think you're well overdue!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco