Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 06:45   #46

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Holding tank monitoring options?

Dockhead,
The Maretron Ultrasonic is interesting. How long has it been in? Since I haven't switched to the WEMA yet it may be an option. Anyone have a track record on one for the holding tank?

Which WEMA sensor did you have? They've changed them a bit and it appears they may have changed the SHS sensor since 2001. Did yours have an external float?

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 01:30   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Dockhead,
The Maretron Ultrasonic is interesting. How long has it been in? Since I haven't switched to the WEMA yet it may be an option. Anyone have a track record on one for the holding tank?

Which WEMA sensor did you have? They've changed them a bit and it appears they may have changed the SHS sensor since 2001. Did yours have an external float?

Bill O.
Maretron one year. So far so good. Big advantage over WEMA is it shows exactly the level. WEMA just shows low, high, and fuel (IIRC).
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 13:14   #48

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I need a gauge but absolutely do not like the idea of drilling holes in my holding tank when there is another solution. I just ordered a Gobius kit (Swedish) which apparently is well-loved by the Scandinavians. It is based on three sensors attached on the OUTSIDE of the holding tank. I will report back on this thread once i have it installed and working.

Yes i know it only shows 1/4, then 1/2, then 3/4, but who needs to know very precisely whether it is 7/8ths or 15/16ths full?
Andrew
Old 04-04-2017, 14:26   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Holding tank monitoring options?

I have a SCAD, yet to install. It is indeed an open circuit board.
Maybe I'll conformal coat the board first, real easy to do.
Many sources, this is just one, either spray it on or brush it on, let it dry, your done
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-...formal+coating
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:59   #50

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I thought I'd follow up on this thread.

As a temporary measure I've decided to go with the suggestion of a home-built pneumatic monitor made from a blood-pressure gauge fed down the deck pump-out fitting.

I calibrated it by counting pumps from the manual head going into an empty tank. The test run with clean sea-water worked really well.

I'll just have to see how well it performs in the wild ... or whether I will be convinced to splash out on the tank-tender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sP5125826.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	147615   Click image for larger version

Name:	sP5125827.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	147616  

Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 14:07   #51

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Good plan.

I've installed three SCAD/SOLO and two Tank-Edge Smart Mini holding tank monitors.

None worked.

There is no chance they could ever work in my boat's environment.

the SCAD/SOLO has a mild brass momentary contact switch that turned green and failed within two weeks. They refused to honor the warranty saying, it turns out reasonably, that the environment caused the failure, not their design. They did, however, sell me a second and eventually a third (Remember, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.)

I went to the web and found Tank-Edge. I am now on my second tank edge - it reads empty when empty and 1/2 full when full - and won't calibrate. The first one worked sort of for a day and failed. They charged me about $110 for the first one and $160 for the second - but did say they will refund part of the second fee when I return the parts.

Turns out, this time the foil I placed on the tank dissolved into foil dust - that may have been the only problem.

These things are junk. They work in a clean, dry, stable, no-vibration environment - but have no chance in the real world.

Still looking for a brand that works. These two aren't it.

Or, I could get an air head or a porta-potti
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 15:08   #52
cruiser

Figure out how much water per flush, put a notepad next to the head, then write down a hashmark each time you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1105.PNG
Views:	180
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	147621  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 15:33   #53

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Figure out how much water per flush, put a notepad next to the head, then write down a hashmark each time you go.
Then automate it.

https://smile.amazon.com/GOGO-Resett...ulling+counter
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 05:38   #54

Boat: Maxi 999

To solve a identical issue I installed a Gardena Hose Fittings Water Smart Flow Meter on the inlet.
It gives me a decent idea how full the tank is, with a 40L tank I know that when reads ~30L it is time for a pump-out.

Cheers,

Otto
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:11   #55

Just installed my Gobius. No holes to drill in the tank (which might then leak/smell and no pressure tube sensor that might be susceptible to clogging. I find Gobius to be a very elegant solution. The only thing you then see is a control/ display unit the size and thickness of a credit card. If I am not having to use the holding tank I can switch it off at the control/display. Wonderful solution.
Old 03-05-2019, 00:39   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Just installed my Gobius. No holes to drill in the tank (which might then leak/smell and no pressure tube sensor that might be susceptible to clogging. I find Gobius to be a very elegant solution. The only thing you then see is a control/ display unit the size and thickness of a credit card. If I am not having to use the holding tank I can switch it off at the control/display. Wonderful solution.
Thanks a lot for the info, is it still working fine ?
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 16:34   #57

Yvest,
Yes my Gobius is all working fine. I had a problem after about 3 mths and Gobius sent me a new part (no charge). But it is truly a very elegant solution to knowing the level in the holding tank. Seems to be v popular in Scandinavia (Gobius is Swedish). i wonder what people do if their boat has no indicator. Just wait until it overflows?
Yuck !
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 11-05-2019, 11:46   #58

Boat: Ovni, 395, 12.7m

My yacht is an Ovni with aluminum holding tank and the walls are relatively thick. The Gobius state the the limit is 5 mm Al. This is about the how thick the walls are. Not so easy to measure.

Do someone have experience with Gobius onboard Ovnis ?

I started of with simpler sensors, they work fine for thinner walls of plastic and some more advanced also metal, tested with bucket etc. But they all fail at the tick Al walls in the Ovni holding tank.

Ole
olewsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 03:42   #59

Ole, I suggest you call the Tech Services of Gobius directly since a distributor is unlikely to have accurate advice on this. I found their Tech services very good and pro-active.
andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 16-05-2019, 11:24   #60

Put a gobius in this year - have yet to tell if it's full as we haven't filled it yet ;-)

It uses 'sound' - but not ultrasound. You can hear it when it checks the tank level - but can set how often you want it to check. I set it to never, and just manually 'ping' to check. It sounds like faint white noise for about 1/2 a second. Prefer not to hear that while sleeping.

Prior to this we had nothing to indicate tank level, a real $hit show as the holding tank vent is on deck ;-)

Did NOT want the stick on kind discussed in this thread. Have owned many RV's with them and I'll pass.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, monitor