Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 09:23   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Frigoboat Fridge Filter check?

I've got a Frigoboat 12v water cooled fridge and I love it. In the water intake line there is an inline filter. I haven't seen anything in the manual about frequency of checking that filter, etc. I was going to check it, but without the manual I wasn't sure how easy it was to check then bleed the lines back to avoid air into the lines, etc. Anyone else have experience with this and could offer a newbie some suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:38   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Frigoboat Fridge Filter check?

The frequency of service depends on you local fouling conditions. As for air, usually not a worry if the system is laid out properly to be self purging.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 10:02   #3

Boat: Able 50

There is no correct answer because it all depends on how dirty the water is where the boat sits. Start checking every 3 months and maybe extend that out to every 6 months. You should get a fine basket which will be either 30 or 50 microns.

I live on my boat for 5 months every summer and clean it once. The fridge is in use every day.

If your pump is below the waterline then you won't have to bother about priming because Newton or Pythagoras or one of those guys says that the water in the inlet pipe will automatically rise as high as the waterline.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 08:53   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

Thanks for the input. I've checked it and cleaned out the filter. The filter does not appear to be fine at all. Like a screen from a screened in porch. I have noticed that since my boat is now in warmer waters (Med) the lines are showing growth inside of them. There is growth in the line from the seacock to the filter, from the filter to the pump, from the pump to the fridge, and from the fridge to the output seacock. That can't be good. However not sure how others would prevent growth in the lines in warm salt water. Are these fridges built for that or have I got an issue?

Attached is a picture of the line going into the fridge unit and coming back out, both showing growth.

Sent from my XT1032 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406735619605.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	85846  
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote