Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 12:19   #106

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423
Re: Freezer Frosting Up Too Fast

I finished researching upgrading the freezer/refrigerator spill over on our Beneteau 423 2-cabin. Well, it is all one enormous unit that was custom made. There are stringers rising behind it that are a constraint. it is built into the cabinetry an would require at least a counter top replacement. The only real options I have is to remove the spill over and put another evaporator/compressor pair in the refrigerator, losing one of three shelves... or do a major project that includes cabinetry. This is off the project list for now.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 00:47   #107

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Reviving this thread as I am having similar issues. Would using something like this help to keep the moisture down in the fridge to help prevent the freezing over?

https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Dehumidi...29&sr=8-6&th=1
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 04:35   #108
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Reviving this thread as I am having similar issues. Would using something like this help to keep the moisture down in the fridge to help prevent the freezing over?

Maybe for a week.

As the OP of this thread ; in the end I added another small refrigeration system and sealed up the spillover hole. That kept all the moisture from getting in/out of the frig side out of the freezer. Then I had to rewire the new frig side evaporator fan to run all the time so it didn"t ice up.

I now only defrost about every 2 months during full time on board
Old 16-05-2023, 05:58   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post

No. A total waste of money.

What you need to do is to seal the box and lid to keep air from getting in. It might be hard (or not!), but if you are frosting up the plate very quickly the ONLY real cause is external air getting into the box. Stop the air infiltration, and the excess frost stops. It's really that simple.

Anything else is just churning your wheels and throwing money away.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, grass