Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 19:27   #16

Re: Cost of new A/C install

Having installed a 12k marine airr in a 30 footer , i suggest : check cubic volume you ‘ll need to condition. Then figure where the compressor and sea water flooded supply for the raw water pump will be , with easy access because the flooded Water pump may need to be bleeded . Then figure where your outlet vents should be to not freeze your head when yr sleeping in the v berth or dining at the main cabin. The out let air hoses on the ac systems are 4 or 6 inch diameter so they eat up a huge amount of space running in lockers, behind settees etc. if you do this planning of dimensions and locations etc ahead of time , with the aid of the ac manufacturer install manual you will be saving 150$ a hour in yard labor and planning . And you ll know how to make sure the yard people do an adequate job.
kaisardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 22:41   #17

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
This is a good point. We installed an 8k BTU unit in the port hull of a Seawind 1000 cat. Just to cool owners cabin and head at night. Even in Texas heat it would drop temp to 68 deg F but didn't cycle enough to get humidity down.
An air con unit of a given capacity will do whatever the system requires, but only as far as that amount of coolth. A LOT of the air's energy is contained in the water content of the air. Refrigeration takes it in at whatever the condition may be and cools it with zero loss of moisture content initially. As the temp drops lower, humidity rises until we get close to 100% saturation. At that time, the air can not hold the water content and so it forms condensation and moisture level drops accordingly.
So, if we cool the air to the dew point (95-100% saturation) but no lower, very little moisture is removed. Low airflow but same coolth results in icy cold temp but little air volume cooled. Too much airflow with limited coolth means it never reaches saturation thus no condensate is removed.
If we get cold but no dehumidification, it is probably the result of bad air system design, not the fault of the unit itself, or simply wrong location for thermostat.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 05:37   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
An air con unit of a given capacity will do whatever the system requires, but only as far as that amount of coolth. A LOT of the air's energy is contained in the water content of the air. Refrigeration takes it in at whatever the condition may be and cools it with zero loss of moisture content initially. As the temp drops lower, humidity rises until we get close to 100% saturation. At that time, the air can not hold the water content and so it forms condensation and moisture level drops accordingly.

So, if we cool the air to the dew point (95-100% saturation) but no lower, very little moisture is removed. Low airflow but same coolth results in icy cold temp but little air volume cooled. Too much airflow with limited coolth means it never reaches saturation thus no condensate is removed.

If we get cold but no dehumidification, it is probably the result of bad air system design, not the fault of the unit itself, or simply wrong location for thermostat.

Or like was said previously….too much cooling capacity. A smaller unit that runs for longer periods of time will do a better job removing moisture from the air. A too large unit will run for much shorter stints and keep the uncirculated air at saturation.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 13:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Or like was said previously….too much cooling capacity. A smaller unit that runs for longer periods of time will do a better job removing moisture from the air. A too large unit will run for much shorter stints and keep the uncirculated air at saturation.
No it will not.
Old 26-08-2021, 13:59   #20

Quote:
No it will not.

Oh really?

Please throughly elaborate why an oversized unit in a small space will not make cold wet air, while an undersized unit will make very dry air but not be able to maintain target temperature.
Old 26-08-2021, 14:54   #21

You can save yourself 15 boat bucks (15,000) by using two
Dual Hose Portables, around 500.00 each
Route the hoses to Dorados, plug in and your done
No Dorados, make up adapter for a hatch or port light.
Total cost less than a haul out.
The key is that they must be DUAL HOSE
If they go belly up, just replace.
Plus no need for more holes in the boat
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 15:35   #22

Boat: 1981 O'Day 34 "Karma"
Send a message via AIM to Sailingcal21

Yeah, I also suspect that you are estimating too many btus. Best to estimate space to be conditioned volume, then calculating required btus. For my ODay 34 I calculated 12kbtu then upped it to 16kbtu and am very happy with the outcome. There is something to be said for having 2 smaller units vs one large unit.
Sailingcal21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 17:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Reveille View Post
I have a question about installing A/C in a Cabo Rico 45. It has never had a/c... so this will be a complete install from scratch...16k and 18k btu units. 3 outlets starboard side, 2 outlets port side, pump, thruhull, strainer, ducting, outlets, grills, controllers, ... everything. Does anyone know about what I'm looking at as far as expected cost? The self contained units are approx $3000 each. With all other necessary components, plus labor... Looking for a general ballpark guess based on experience. Thanks!
I installed myself. I already had numerous unused thru hulls. Took about 40 hours of work, mostly routing wiring. I bought from defender an install kit $900. All other stuff about $500.

A professional installer will be able to do it much faster, I was learning as I went.

My boat a Hylas 44, 16K BTU, it keeps boat nice and cool with minimal ducting, sometimes too cool at night.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 19:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Oh really?

Please throughly elaborate why an oversized unit in a small space will not make cold wet air, while an undersized unit will make very dry air but not be able to maintain target temperature.
Please look at the psychometrics and it is self explanatory. HVAC engineers will know this, we were taught fundamentals at college.
Old 27-08-2021, 15:49   #25

Quote:
Please look at the psychometrics and it is self explanatory. HVAC engineers will know this, we were taught fundamentals at college.

I’m pretty familiar with the fundamentals.

An unit that is too large for the space won’t adequately dehumidify while cooling.
Old 30-08-2021, 06:30   #26

Boat: Lagoon 440

Aside from the cost of units and required parts and pieces the electrical side can cost more than all the a/c equipment
Aquapazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 06:45   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

My brother and I installed a 16,000 BTU Webasto FCF unit in my 1985 Catalina 30. We are on a fresh water reservoir so no discharge of black water is allowed. This left the macerator discharge seacock available. (Although I once watched as another vessel was heeled over in its slip and a new seacock installed. Interesting.) The A/C installed under the nav table. Had to move the batteries to the starboard settee to allow the ducting access to the A/C unit. Two outlet vents in the main saloon and one in the v-berth.

We spent about $2000 for the A/C, and another $1500 or so for hoses, strainer, pump, fittings, ducting, vents, supply grates, etc. We bought the hoses and ducting from Home Depot. Later spent another $750 or so for a dedicated shore power inlet, cables and breakers. (Look into SMARTPLUG if you do this.)

VERY labor intensive and it helps if you are a contortionist. We were quoted $250/hr to install which is why it was a DIY effort. Took about 3 days to get it fully installed.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 07:44   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Direct message me with your email address and I will send you an article I wrote on putting in a 12,000 BTU A/C split unit in our 45' Roberts Offshore 44. It only had one outlet in the main salon but cooled the boat without any problems. It would run on a Honda 2000 watt inverter model gas generator as well as charge batteries and television at the same time.

That particular installation cost us $1,500CAD but we did the work and installation ourselves with the exception of the final refrigerant work that is included in the price. The unit ran on 230 volts 50 hz and was installed while at anchor in Malaysia. Sea water cooled with a titanium coaxial condenser and powered with a 230V seawater pump. Quiet, remote controlled, compact and used one seawater inlet through hull and one existing above water through hull for the condensate and return line. Condensate could be collected inboard for battery water but installed LifePo4 didn't need it. It was installed in 2013 and we have since sold the boat (2016) and the current owners are still using it as far as I know.
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 11:02   #29

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
I have a question about installing A/C in a Cabo Rico 45. It has never had a/c... so this will be a complete install from scratch...16k and 18k btu units. 3 outlets starboard side, 2 outlets port side, pump, thru hull, strainer, ducting, outlets, grills, controllers, ... everything. Does anyone know about what I'm looking at as far as expected cost? The self contained units are approx $3000 each. With all other necessary components, plus labor... Looking for a general ballpark guess based on experience. Thanks!
I bought 2 of these for my Ketch with an aft cabin. They are the size of a case of beer and weight about as much. Discounted price at the Annapolis boat show for the complete install kit about 1600 each.

Took me 1 weekend to install to completion and functional. Keeps my main cabin/V beth in the low 70 with this summer heats in the 90s. Aft cabin, guest almost have to turn it off. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...ditioning.html
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 11:05   #30

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
I have a question about installing A/C in a Cabo Rico 45. It has never had a/c... so this will be a complete install from scratch...16k and 18k btu units. 3 outlets starboard side, 2 outlets port side, pump, thru hull, strainer, ducting, outlets, grills, controllers, ... everything. Does anyone know about what I'm looking at as far as expected cost? The self contained units are approx $3000 each. With all other necessary components, plus labor... Looking for a general ballpark guess based on experience. Thanks!
I bought 2 of these for my Ketch with an aft cabin. They are the size of a case of beer and weight about as much. Discounted price at the Annapolis boat show for the complete install kit about 1600 each.

Took me 1 weekend to install to completion and functional. Keeps my main cabin/V beth in the low 70 with this summer heats in the 90s. Aft cabin, guest almost have to turn it off. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...ditioning.html

JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote