Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 09:45   #301

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Just back from our longest time on the boat. Two people, full-time. Approximately 70 days of usage (80 days on the boat, but some of that at dock). Our Nature's Head performed admirably. We emptied the compost twice over that time; once about mid-way and then again at the end when we decommissioned the boat for the season.

Observations:
  • We started with bedding material (coir) that is as dry as possible.
  • We filled up to the agitator, and then added a small handful of dry coir with every other deposit.
  • About 2/3 through each cycle we loosened the material with a trowel. The agitator seems to compress material into the corners. This becomes increasingly firm and rigid. By prying it off the side and mixing it in we managed to get another couple of weeks of usage.
  • When dumping the head I was pleasantly surprised how inoffensive the material was. It can't be fully composted in that time, but there was nothing ugly or smelly in the tank. The material just seemed like moist soil.
I am more convinced than ever that a composting head is one of the best improvements we've made to our boat. For a small cruising crew, it just seems like a no-brainer.
Old 13-10-2014, 10:29   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
That's an issue: guest friendliness. I'm not comfortable with my C-Head in that regard, then add in the disposal of tissue issue ...

That great little video above answered one question for me, as the high dollar unit didn't appear to be a lot larger than my less stylish bucket. 60-80 uses sounds wildly optimistic to me.

Altho perhaps it's true that just I'm full of it.
I consider our composter more guest friendly.

No valves or pumping required. If an occasional guest puts TP in, there is no great harm. An overzealous wipper, has no pipes to clog.
- #1, just go.
- #2, open the trap door before going.
- That's certainly simpler than turn valve A to open, pump until bowl partly filled, then do buisness, turn valve B to closed, pump out...and then you still wind up with streaks in the bowl.

With composter or traditional head, I prefer the TP in a seperate basket, so that's really not an advantage for the traditional sesspit system.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:03   #303

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Great post from the front (and back ) lines, Mike. Thanks.

Decommisioned? Plans changed, obviously.

I hate putting the paper in a separate container, and I just don't think my guests would be comfy with that. After trying both ways though, I am happier with tissue in a separate container when it's just me. The usual deal.

We had a thread not long ago about this tissue issue.

Val: You are right as rain. Perhaps some look at the exhaust as no more or less important than the intake. I'm not there yet, I suppose.

I've lived with this system for a year now. I've had two bug issues that I was able to resolve, and as an experiment, I'm now using kitty litter. The cheap stuff. I don't need the "clumping" feature. All's just fine 2 weeks in.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:21   #304

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Here in Australia most People pull a face when you tell them that you have a compost Toilet. Not much is known how it works and how well it works. No smell and for weekend sailing we empty it once per year. It is the perfect way for boats and Motorhomes and I'm sure with time more and more people will go that way. We have a Nature Head for over 2 years now.....fantastic
Cheers
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:29   #305

Thanks BC. Just for the record, we toss feces-soiled paper into the compost bin. My spouse places her urine paper in a seperate bag for disposal. The paper in the bin almost completely desiccates and disintegrates into the bin. As experienced wilderness campers we likely use less paper than most. Not to get too detailed, but I can usually get away with one or two small sheets.

And our plans are in place. We had planned to meander the Great Lakes this season, and then haul the boat in the eastern part of Lake Ontario. We will carry on the St. Lawrence next year, likely getting to the Maritimes or perhaps NFLD next season. So things are on track ... so far.
Old 13-10-2014, 16:07   #306

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

We toss all tp into the compost toilet bucket and it disappears pretty quickly. I also have a vented 3gal secondary compost bucket. I use a mixture of coir, coffee grounds, peat, and cedar chips for the mulch. If there is an odor, it smells like PNW forest floor. I keep a small container of mulch with a cup in a cubby beside the head.

Has anyone tried vermiculture?

JimK
Old 13-10-2014, 21:13   #307

Boat: Mac 26X

WHOA!!! Tell me more about the coffee grounds?????

we put all soiled paper in the pot, my wife seperates some of her urine wipes, but not all. No problems for me.
Old 14-10-2014, 09:51   #308

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
WHOA!!! Tell me more about the coffee grounds?????

we put all soiled paper in the pot, my wife seperates some of her urine wipes, but not all. No problems for me.
Before shedding my property and material possessions, I spent a lot of time in the garden... here's an OSU extension bulletin: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lan...ts/cffee07.pdf Starbucks also gives away used coffee grounds free for gardeners so I figured I'd try it. If nothing else it adds moisture and it's a place to get rid of the grounds from all the coffee I drink.

I'm experimenting with different mixtures... figured cedar chips would help eliminate flies and bugs, peat is cheap and readily available, found a coir brick in my GF's garden shed... no real logic to my choices yet
Old 14-10-2014, 19:41   #309

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Before shedding my property and material possessions, I spent a lot of time in the garden... here's an OSU extension bulletin: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lan...ts/cffee07.pdf Starbucks also gives away used coffee grounds free for gardeners so I figured I'd try it. If nothing else it adds moisture and it's a place to get rid of the grounds from all the coffee I drink.

I'm experimenting with different mixtures... figured cedar chips would help eliminate flies and bugs, peat is cheap and readily available, found a coir brick in my GF's garden shed... no real logic to my choices yet
OK got ya. I don't want to add any moisture so that's not an interest. I thought there might be something else going on. My grounds go in the water, I never thought that was a problem.
Old 01-02-2015, 13:13   #310

Boat: Alberg 35 Yawl eventide

Amen to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
blakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 17:22   #311

Boat: Cooper 42'

Ok, this is my next purchase.. Which one is the best? Natures Head, Airhead or?
Before I spend the 1000 please let me know your input...

Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 17:33   #312

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I have an Airhead and am very satisfied with it, from what ive read on here and other threads everyone seems satisfied with their Natures heads and C-heads also so I think if I were to buy another one I would buy the C-head as it seems by far the best value and I prefer the appearance over the others too.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 18:30   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I have an Airhead and am very satisfied with it, from what ive read on here and other threads everyone seems satisfied with their Natures heads and C-heads also so I think if I were to buy another one I would buy the C-head as it seems by far the best value and I prefer the appearance over the others too.

Steve.
Do you like the C-head for the simplicity?
I just watched the video. It does seem pretty basic with parts that could be readily available all over the place. 5 gallon buckets and 1 gallon containers.. easy to obtain..
This this why you would go with it?
I was looking at the Natures head but now if those Items break or something happens the C-head seems a whole lot easier to fix or get parts, it's really nothing to it.
Old 01-02-2015, 18:31   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post

Steve.
Oh, by the way I have to say I like your user name... Awesome.. CWO!!!!lol
Old 01-02-2015, 18:51   #315

I looked hard at the three options before purchasing our Nature's Head. From my analysis, both NH and AirHead are pretty much identical. The differences are small. C-head seems great, but the composting (desiccating) bin is basically 1/2 the size of the others. This means more frequent dumping. I don't think that necessarily a bad thing, but for me it kicked C-head out of the running.

I went with NH over AH because it fit better in our space, and it was slightly cheaper. But I know I would be happy with either.

Tags
head