Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38   #1

Boat: Colvic Watson 23'9"
Composters: Where do you dump the Poo?

I can hear you thinking...Oh no, not another thread on composting heads! But please, just a simple question regarding them: when out cruising, where do you dump the poo from the composting loo? Do you just end up dumping it at sea, or furtively placing bagsful into a convenient bin? Or do you actually find owners of compost piles who are happy to accept your offering? There was a rather protracted thread of 12 pages, which went dormant early this year, on the general pros and cons of composting compared to other systems. My question didn't seem to be addressed directly, and I didn't want to revive an old thread.

I've just bought an older boat in the UK with a traditional sea toilet discharging directly overboard. In the places where I'll be cruising (French canals, then Greek islands), I'll need some capacity to prevent such direct discharge. As I'm loath to start putting together a complicated system of hoses, valves, and tank, especially because she is not a large cruising boat, the simplicity of a composting unit appeals to me. (I'm looking specifically at Simploo, manufactured in the UK.) But I am curious as to whether the cruiser's universe provides opportunities to discard the composted (or at least, PARTLY composted) waste as envisioned?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment...

Don
rabbidoninoz is offline   Reply With Quote