Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 16:06   #1

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Choosing a Cooktop

I am looking to install a propane cooktop in my boat.

Does anyone have suggestions or reviews? A lot of RV-oriented products seem much cheaper. The cheapest cooktop I have found was around $50
ADTH 2 BURNER LP GAS BLACK RV CAMPER RANGE TOP DROP IN STOVE J 5.4 | eBay

The most expensive? Thousands.

I am trying to get it right the first time with this purchase, so which one to buy?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:13   #2

Re: Choosing a Cooktop

On my Ericson 27' I was very tempted to install a propane stove until I figured out the price. Propane locker, hoses, sniffers, etc., get expensive very fast. I ended up using small portable butane burners. They worked great. Very small and easy to store; only cost about $20; can use them outside or inside or even ashore; you can get extras for them to use them as a BBQ....check out h-mart in federal way or lynnwood...they've got a great selection of extras you can get for them (or at least they used to). Canisters are pretty cheap online. Only problem is they have problems lighting up in freezing cold weather. My aunt and uncle have a diesel stove in their boat for cooking and it's too hot to run in the summer so they use the butane burners most of the time they're cruising.

Just my 2 cents...
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 14:03   #3

I have one of those. I find it cheap, chintsy, and wasteful, in that you are constantly trashing empties. Propane is much cheaper, and I already bought a tank! I am just going to put a propane tank on deck and close the valve on it when it is not in use, you can't tell me that is unsafe.

No amount of sniffers or solenoids are safer than a closed valve on a tank exposed to the open air. I understand the appeal of safety devices, but they are certainly needless when you can just close a valve!

I have been shopping around, but I was hoping I could get some reviews of 2 or 3 burner propane cooktops on here.
Old 02-05-2012, 14:23   #4

Get a proper marine cooktop. You want one that will gimbal and has potholders to keep pots in place.

I assume you do not room for a stove.

If you want do it right

- use a solenoid so that you can shut off the propane from the galley.
- have the lines installed properly, one continuous run from the bottle to the stove.
- use a sniffer; you can get them integrated with the solenoid, not really necessary.

I am partial to Force 10. The top is easy to clean and the pot holders work well.

FORCE 10 - Cooking Without Compromise - Products

I have been on a boat with an RV stove and cooktop. It sucked.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I have one of those. I find it cheap, chintsy, and wasteful, in that you are constantly trashing empties. Propane is much cheaper, and I already bought a tank! I am just going to put a propane tank on deck and close the valve on it when it is not in use, you can't tell me that is unsafe.

No amount of sniffers or solenoids are safer than a closed valve on a tank exposed to the open air. I understand the appeal of safety devices, but they are certainly needless when you can just close a valve!

I have been shopping around, but I was hoping I could get some reviews of 2 or 3 burner propane cooktops on here.
To each their own. I wasn't really thinking about the safety aspect so much as the convenience and cost aspects.

Going up and turning off the valve before and after every time you cook seems awfully inconvenient to me (especially in rain, snow, or icy conditions), as does having a tank on deck while sailing, and/or having propane tubes lying around on deck. I'd think about mounting it off the pushpit at least and running the tube through a locker.

Propane fittings, converters, adapters, and tubing can be ridiculously expensive for what they are. Even discarding all the safety equipment and going with an RV range instead of marine you could end up spending quite a bit if you need a lengthy hose and/or converters/adapters. As soon as you get into installing a proper marine cooktop the price goes way up.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:38   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We have the Force 10 Eno also. Works well.

Force 10 Eno 3-Burner Gas Cooktop Stove
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Force10_Eno.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	40637  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 15:45   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

A marine stove should have flame failure devices fitted. Many RV units do not.

Dave
Old 02-05-2012, 15:56   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I recommend the Dickinson 2 burner drop in it’s the top of the 2 burner Caribbean I use and really like.
DickinsonMarine.com - Propane Fireplaces
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 16:14   #9

Gimbaled is not going to be an option, unfortunately. The galley is all athwartships.
Old 02-05-2012, 16:20   #10

RV cooktop should be fine. Many Taiwan boats came with the Magic Chef RV stove new. No issues. I got a 3 burner, new cooktop for my trawler on line for $115... high btu burners and stainless steel.... I'm not sure what the safety features are for these stoves... I do know the Marine stoves I've had will continue pumping gas out if the flame blows out.... Not sure if any of the newer stoves have protection for that or not.... the ones in the 80's and 90's evidently didnt! The only thing I've had that had that feature was a non marine propane flow-through hot water heater.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:05   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We bought a cheap two ring counter top gas burner (same as the labourers here have in their rooms) when rebuilding our yacht... I wanted to ditch the marine stove, cos we never used the oven, and the rings took forever just to boil a kettle. We gimballed it using dive weights, and it's awesome.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
We have the Force 10 Eno also. Works well.

Force 10 Eno 3-Burner Gas Cooktop Stove
We have the Eno stove and it's been a great piece of equipment. Of course it's just a cooktop with an oven added.
Old 08-05-2012, 17:20   #13

Grip-On Tools Double-Burner Cast Iron Camping Stove | Cooking Stoves + Burners | Northern Tool + Equipment

I bought this!
Old 08-05-2012, 18:03   #14

Boat: Haida 26

Tager, I have a two burner Princess on the Ruby Jean. Works great even while underway. Wait and spend the $400.00, this stove is worth every penny. I'll find a pic of my galley. I have my propane bottle mounted on the fan tail,w/ the switch valve mounted in the motor well. I'll change my profile pic w/ one that shows the tank...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 18:28   #15

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Tager, I have a two burner Princess on the Ruby Jean. Works great even while underway. Wait and spend the $400.00, this stove is worth every penny. I'll find a pic of my galley. I have my propane bottle mounted on the fan tail,w/ the switch valve mounted in the motor well. I'll change my profile pic w/ one that shows the tank...Michael..
Will add, a camp stove is just about worthless while anchored w/ surge. You won't keep a tea kettle on the burner. Something to think about.
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote