Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 15:37   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Adding fan inside refrigerator

Look at Air tumbling Fans These fans must have their own very small fuses. They are normally 10 to 20 CFM fans and powered anytime refrigerator circuit breaker is on.

LINK

Kollmann Marine
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 18:23   #17

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Use a computer fan, they draw almost nothing. Look at the specs, you just want a low speed one.
I used a Pulse Width Modulation speed controller form Ebay. Negligible cost.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 22:47   #18

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340

I have computer fans in fridges and freezer, that run continuosly, get a rectangular length of PVC downpipe app 100mm by 45mm, you need to set it up so it sucks from the bottom of the chamber, hot air rises cold air sinks! You need to load your frig and freezer chambers so there is air flow at bottom and the fan just circulates from bottom to top.
Ive never had frozen tomatoes or lettuce in my chest frig!
Aqualibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:21   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinScurr View Post
I used a small computer fan (1.25"?) and 1.5" PVC pipe. The pipe picks up the cold area below the freezer unit, runs across the bottom of the fridge, then up and over to the far corner of the fridge box at the top. The fan is mounted where the "exit" of th epipe is and sucks air from the low pipe and spills it over everything else in the fridge. Makes a big difference in evening out the cooling. The fan runs 24/7, when the fridge circuit breaker is turned on. I think the fan is rated at 0.15 amps?

I am amazed that 90% of comments are about fixing a fan rather than the benefits of this simple addition. My computer fan was a game changer. I had an evaporation plate one size too small, and could never go below 9°, and with long compressor times. Putting the fan in was like magic. Down to 5° and long pauses between compressor "on". There is literally no investment I made in 40 years of cruising with a higher cost benefit ratio.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 19:16   #20

Boat: Taswell 43

following. We have a refer box and a separate freezer...both cooled via holding plates. But the temp is definitely stratified. The fan idea sounds like a game changer.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator