Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 01:44   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.
Re: Sail Drives, The Good, The Bad and Ugly

the only problem i heard about volvo saildrive yacht built 2011 a 150S that lost,while on sailing on engine, propeller lock nut and the between washers.it fell off like was not tight
i assume it might have some vibrations plus not proper tightening of the lock nut
this happened last year close to samos island
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 03:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Our company specializies on maintenance yacht management and yacht charter on Samos Island. Samos Yachts is a company situated among the best in the East Aegean sea teritory in Greece, and West coast of Turkey. We offer sail yacht charters bareboat and skippered from 1995 from Samos and Kos Island as long as maintenance.
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 04:09   #33

Have had Volvo-Penta saildrives on two different multihulls for about 9 years. I am now looking for a boat with shaft drives, as there were too many (expensive to fix) problems and also it required the boats to get out of the water too often, which is a problem (and yet another expense) in remote places.
KrautHolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:03   #34

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I was taught to put my sail drives in reverse gear when engines are off and sailing.
Not sure "exactly" why but I am assuming it's to stop the props from rotating whilst sailing and therefore the whole gearbox internals creating more wear and tear

Rgards
MikeF
Yanmar SD20 's on a L40 cat

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 13:20   #35

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Hi All,

To contribute to the data set, I have a circa 1980 Volvo Md17c and 110 SD that is the original install on a Corbin 39. It has spent most of its life in freshwater but is was in salt a couple of years ago and is now in salt again in Cape Breton. I have zero problems. Engine hours are 1000ish. Visible rust on tensioning rim in engine room. It is on my list to replace membrane
https://www.volvopentashop.com/epc/e...%2F7742220_050

and

BUT I am not sure how high on the list I should place it since I have zero problems. There is a video on youtube of a guy that change his and the rubber bellows was in perfect shape. My question/thought is does a saildrive bellows give a bit of a warning as it starts to deteriote and pass water? If that is the case I may just wait until I have water in the engine room regularly. Open to opinions. Thanks
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 13:52   #36

Boat: 45' SV

I can speak from current experience and its definitely the ugly. My Volvo Penta 150S saildrive has only 1600 hours and has clutch issues. Very dangerous failure mode... It would unpredictably not shift into gear, as in reverse when approaching the dock, for example.

To replace or rebuild the clutch mechanism requires removing the upper unit. This means at least sliding the engine forward or, in many cases, requires removing the entire engine to get it out of the engine compartment. This is a big and expensive job.

But the worst part is the difficulty to trouble shoot or address issues inside the unit. It's a complex clutch mechanism that can be tricky and/or expensive to repair. And if you don't want to take your chances (see paragraph 2), then a replacement unit is almost the same cost as the engine itself. As of today, a Volvo 150S is about $12,000 USD in the the US. Note, for Volvo at least, if your yard isn't a certified Volvo Penta dealer then Volvo won't honor the warranty.

Bottom line for me is a $20K hit... I would definitely not recommend the Volvo's at least.
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 05:20   #37

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Just read your post, and your experience is of interest to me.

You might read this other thread on this subject:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ve-166035.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
Hi All,

To contribute to the data set, I have a circa 1980 Volvo Md17c and 110 SD that is the original install on a Corbin 39. It has spent most of its life in freshwater but is was in salt a couple of years ago and is now in salt again in Cape Breton. I have zero problems. Engine hours are 1000ish. Visible rust on tensioning rim in engine room. It is on my list to replace membrane

and

BUT I am not sure how high on the list I should place it since I have zero problems. There is a video on youtube of a guy that change his and the rubber bellows was in perfect shape. My question/thought is does a saildrive bellows give a bit of a warning as it starts to deteriote and pass water? If that is the case I may just wait until I have water in the engine room regularly. Open to opinions. Thanks
ggray is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail