Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 15:30   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 44 44'
MilkShake in Transmission

I have a Kamzaki KM35P Transmission on a Yanmar 4JH5E 55 hp diesel. I am finding milkshake in the transmission and have tried to empty it out and replace but it keeps coming back a milkshake color. I know water is getting in to make it that way, but how do I troubleshoot this issue? Where is the water coming in from and has anyone had this experience and resolved it?
Poggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 16:03   #2

Boat: Nauticat 33
Re: MilkShake in Transmission

Transmission oil cooler has failed.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 16:30   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee 44 44'

That is an interesting solution. Unfortunately I can find no reference in either the engine manual or the transmission manual for a oil cooler. Can you provide some reference for this? Thank you.
Poggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 13:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

The KM35P is a mechanical type transmission, with no heat exchanger type oil cooler. It MAY have a contact type oil cooler, that externally mounts to the transmission. If so, it is possible that the aluminum transmission case has corroded through, and salt water is now being introduced inside your transmission. I suggest you remove the contact type cooler and inspect the transmission case for damage. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggle View Post
I have a Kamzaki KM35P Transmission on a Yanmar 4JH5E 55 hp diesel. I am finding milkshake in the transmission and have tried to empty it out and replace but it keeps coming back a milkshake color. I know water is getting in to make it that way, but how do I troubleshoot this issue? Where is the water coming in from and has anyone had this experience and resolved it?
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission