Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2010, 09:41   #1

Boat: Corbin 39, 'Pinguescence'
Is it Possible to Shorten a Stuffing Box ?

No space between the stuffing box and the shaft coupling to back the nut off enough to repack. I wonder whether anyone has experienced a similar problem... Would it be foolish to cut the threaded side shorter, or the barbed side to which you attach the hose to get that extra inch of space necessary?
cgaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 15:32   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Is the stuffing box butted up against the shaft log? If not you could go to a shorter hose, providing you have one.

Other options with more info about your system!
Old 14-03-2010, 18:15   #3

sadly that was the first avenue I pursued and there was no room to shorten the hose. My best bet is probably getting a new and slightly longer shaft built. The previous packing had not been replaced in eons - presumably because the coupling was rusted to the shaft and there was no space to back the nut off. The only way I was able to do it was to remove the engine! - and the rings have made definite grooves into the shaft.
Old 14-03-2010, 18:35   #4

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
I was also going to suggest taking an inch off the shaft log tube.
Since you say your shaft already has grooves from previous packing you should probably consider replacing your shaft and shaft coupling.
Perhaps the only way to replace your packing is to remove the coupling from the shaft and slide the shaft back a few inches. That would be a royal PITA though.
A picture of this setup might provoke some more egregious replies.
Good luck.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 21:32   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
You could possibly shorten the shaft log and the stuffing box a little but you should leave enough for two hose clamps on both ends.

And yeah! Groves are a bad thing. If you have to squeeze the packing down to fill the grove then your putting too much pressure on the packing causing more heat/friction, causing more wear.

But if you do replace the shaft you might as well move the motor far enough forward to access the stuffing box and then get a longer shaft.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:29   #6

I think i'll replace the shaft. With the current configuration maintainance of the stuffing box and changing of the packing rings is only possible if I remove the shaft. Even if I do cut the stuffing box down, it won't guarantee enough space to back the nut off. Thanks for the replies - very helpful.
Old 15-03-2010, 19:06   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Somebody in the history of the boat made an alteration that ended up with your stuffing box right up against the engine flange. Boats are not built that way - there should always be enough room between the stuffing box and the engine flange to back the stuffing box nut/cap off and replace the packing.
- - Try to find out what was changed and change it back to the original configuration. Maybe the engine was moved aft due to worn out engine mount holes - or - a different transmission was installed that was longer - or - - - - something strange was done.
Photos would great help in determining what was done and how to correct the problem.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 02:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Somebody in the history of the boat made an alteration that ended up with your stuffing box right up against the engine flange. Boats are not built that way - there should always be enough room between the stuffing box and the engine flange to back the stuffing box nut/cap off and replace the packing...
What Osiris said.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote