Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 17:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 340
How to replace my yanmar 30 raw water belt

My raw water belt shredded. Do i need to remove the crankshaft to get my new belt on? New to sailing and not much of a mechanic. Please advise.
Thanks
Rdsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 18:11   #2

Re: How to replace my yanmar 30 raw water belt

Yes, by all means remove the crankshaft, a good time replace the pistons too, maybe a valve job?

Sorry could not resist, no. Changing a belt should be very easily done with a minimum of fuss, of course it's a boat so......
Take some good pictures and post them. Someone will recognize your setup and give you step by step instructions

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 20:57   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdsykora View Post
My raw water belt shredded. Do i need to remove the crankshaft to get my new belt on?
No, you don't need to remove the crankshaft sheave.

Loosen the mounting bolts on the alternator and take its belt right off.

Loosen the mounting bolts on the water pump">raw water pump. You can then get the old belt off and just barely pop its new belt on. Then lever the water pump sideways so its belt is tight and tighten its mounting bolts.

Replace the alternator belt, lever the alternator so its belt is tight and tighten its mounting bolts.

======

You're going to have to tighten and change those belts regularly. The stock Yanmar Mitsuboshi belts are soft sided belts, to transmit more power. The contact angle on the alternator is small and they must transmit a lot of power, so they slip and wear. That's OK, that's how it is, check them regularly. You'll see.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 05:49   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Changing a belt is a basic & routine maintenance procedure. Maybe you can recruit a more mechanically inclined friend to walk you through the process?

What type of engine do you have?

On almost all makes/models it is just a matter of loosening the bolts that hold alternator in position and swinging it toward the engine so it applies (or would apply) the least amount of tension to the belt. The belt typically passes over three pulleys, but may vary by motor: alternator, fresh water pump, main pulley (on crank shaft). Some raw water pumps are belt driven, some are not. With the alternator loose: put the new belt over two of the three and then walk it onto the third as you rotate the engine manually.

Its a good saftey practice to shut off the start battery switch before working on an engine...you wouldn't want an acciddental start to happen with your hands on belt & pulleys.

I bet there is a You Tube video out there that shows this process.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 08:35   #5

Boat: Outremer 42

If it is a 3ym30, then I have just done this on both mine. You don't need to loosen the alternator as the water pump is on a separate carrier. This has two bolts which you loosen and then the carrier can be moved to loosen the belt. It can then be removed and replaced.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 08:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdsykora View Post
My raw water belt shredded. Do i need to remove the crankshaft to get my new belt on? New to sailing and not much of a mechanic. Please advise.
Thanks
I think it's the same as my 2GM 20. As the pump belt is behind the alternator belt, you need to loosen off the alternators 3 adjusting bolts until it's belt is loose enough to remove. Then loosen off the water pump belt adjustment.
Remove the belt and replace and adjust them both. I've never had a belt shred. I think you should somehow find out what caused that to happen.

Are the pulleys in alignment? Hard to imagine they are not. Was the belt too tight or loose or was something rubbing on it?? Or possibly an inferior or incorrect belt. Belts can have different V angles even though they might be the same length. They are type A or B or some such identification. The V angle should match the V angle inside the pulley which is why you could initially get a genuine replacement Yanmar belt. Or if you know the type and length (I have forgotten) any good belt shop will do. Or take along the pump you can easily remove along with the old belt for length. I hope all that helps.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:14   #7

Hi
Its relatively easy, my only advice is be careful not to overtighten the belt otherwise you ruin the bearing. In which case you will need to replace the pump.
It might be a good time to replace the impeller.
Yanmar belts are relatively expensive and are odd sizes so I suggest getting a spare at the same time. Not necessarily that easy to find especially cheap alternatives.

Good luck.
Berty
Bob_a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 13:42   #8

Oh I forgot to say if you remove the pump make sure the water intake is closed!
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 13:26   #9

Just like to add to this thread that I suspect yanmar 2gm20f has some sort this of safety sensor linked to the raw water cooling. I say this because yesterday the engine wouldn't start at all until I'd "bled" the cooling system by loosening some screws on the Cover of the impeller and allowing water to flow out for30 seconds. Then turning the ignition suddenly worked (previously there was just dead silence and pressing start made didn't produce any form of life in the engine except a single 'click'). All very bizarre. BTW The starter battery was a new battery that carried 12.8v across the starter motor and earth (-ve pole of battery) as I'd just fully charged it at home, so I knew the battery was fine.amd the reason why I'd done all this is because the engine had overheated a couple of days ago as no water was coming out of the system so I changed the impeller and belt.
bobbylockes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 02:39   #10

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylockes View Post
Just like to add to this thread that I suspect yanmar 2gm20f has some sort this of safety sensor linked to the raw water cooling. I say this because yesterday the engine wouldn't start at all until I'd "bled" the cooling system by loosening some screws on the Cover of the impeller and allowing water to flow out for30 seconds. Then turning the ignition suddenly worked (previously there was just dead silence and pressing start made didn't produce any form of life in the engine except a single 'click'). All very bizarre. BTW The starter battery was a new battery that carried 12.8v across the starter motor and earth (-ve pole of battery) as I'd just fully charged it at home, so I knew the battery was fine.amd the reason why I'd done all this is because the engine had overheated a couple of days ago as no water was coming out of the system so I changed the impeller and belt.
No safety sensor on my 2gm20f. Never had to bleed the cooling system after changing the impeller. I think that the clicking sound that the ignition makes when pressing the starter button is a coincidence with the water pump. The clicking sound is low voltage to the starter motor. Yanmar is know for undersized wiring to the starter motor. Fixed mine by fitting a relay into the circuit right beside the starter motor. Instant fix, no more clicking.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water, yanmar