Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2023, 13:55   #1

DIY kanzaki KM35P rebuild

Has anyone rebuilt a kanzaki gearbox? and might be able to share any advice, experiences?

My gearbox has developed a couple of problems, unfortunately? as I'm in Fiji I might have to go myself - besides i'm the sort of person that likes to do things myself.

I found two excellent disassembly and assembly videos on youtube for a similar gearbox to mine.

From these it seems the process is fairly straightforward except for ...

(1) Pulling the main gears as they are a very tight interference fit - seems an ordinary bearing puller will work.

(2) It also seems tricky to get the right number of shims for the output shaft -
I have the service manual for my gearbox which details the complicated process to determine this.

I guess in general work on a transmission requires a lot more precision than work on the engine - good quality calipers/micrometre to check tolerances more care and measurements.

Is a DIY rebuild doable or is this a job for the experts only?

Thanks for any advice, input suggestions
dial_amonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY, kanzaki, rebuild