Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 11:50   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Burping PSS

Boat was launched last night after 6 months on the hard. I went to burb the PSS by pressing the rubber away from Stainless clamp, and when I released it back there was still a steady stream of water cumming around the mating surface of graphite and stainless collars. Needless to say I repeated the attempt about 20 times while wiggling the rubber and graphite flange in hopes of getting them lined up to the SS collar again. No luck. I managed to find a position where stream turned into a trickle.
It was not until i started the engine and ran it in reverse for some time that the trickle turned into drips, and after about 20 minutes the dripping stopped. Spent next few hours commissioning other things and the drips did not come back.
Anyone else experienced the same issues. The rubber looks good. had it out two years ago for a detailed inspection. Since then i was burping it annually and inspecting routinely and never had this issue.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 13:32   #2

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Re: Burping PSS

You might need to give it a good wipe between the mating surfaces with a soft cloth to start with. I had a similar thing happen. I believe when I burped mine a tiny bit of weed or something similar may have come up through the stern tube and got compressed between the surfaces. I just ran a dish cloth around the surfaces and she was good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 15:21   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Has the stainless steel collar moved on the shaft? There been a few instances of this occuring due to the set screws not binding on the shaft sufficently.

Just in case you are not already aware, these set screws are a one shot use, so if you do remove them, toss them and replace with new ones. They should also be doubled up, ie two screws per hole.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 15:59   #4

Boat: Catalina 387

Do you even need to burp it if there is a vent tube on it? I'd assume the vent tube would allow most/all air out of the shaft thus wetting the seal.

(Mine is vented, but I've not had the boat out of the water yet)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 16:06   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Has the stainless steel collar moved on the shaft? There been a few instances of this occuring due to the set screws not binding on the shaft sufficently.

Just in case you are not already aware, these set screws are a one shot use, so if you do remove them, toss them and replace with new ones. They should also be doubled up, ie two screws per hole.

+1
Also add a S/S hose clip on the shaft behind the collar as a backstop movement preventer

My last PSS was one fitted with a cooling water inlet connection , not used as such, but a small dia pipe from this was taken up well above the static waterline, this allowed any air to escape and also kept a little water retained in the seal itself when under way, thus helping lubricate the seal faces. This was as recommended by the UK supplier of the PSS way back around 2001 when i believe they stopped offering the type without the water inlet I did over 25,000 miles after fitting that seal without a leak or a squeak.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 16:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Do you even need to burp it if there is a vent tube on it? I'd assume the vent tube would allow most/all air out of the shaft thus wetting the seal.

(Mine is vented, but I've not had the boat out of the water yet)
This correct, no burping required if vented.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-05-2015, 16:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
+1
Also add a S/S hose clip on the shaft behind the collar as a backstop movement preventer

My last PSS was one fitted with a cooling water inlet connection , not used as such, but a small dia pipe from this was taken up well above the static waterline, this allowed any air to escape and also kept a little water retained in the seal itself when under way, thus helping lubricate the seal faces. This was as recommended by the UK supplier of the PSS way back around 2001 when i believe they stopped offering the type without the water inlet I did over 25,000 miles after fitting that seal without a leak or a squeak.
+1 on the backstop.
Not wanting to be picky but for the sake of completeness, the top of the vent should be as close to the centerline as possible and well above the heeled waterline.
Old 08-05-2015, 16:19   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
+1 on the backstop.
Not wanting to be picky but for the sake of completeness, the top of the vent should be as close to the centerline as possible and well above the heeled waterline.

Agreed, sorry , should have said that.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 16:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Agreed, sorry , should have said that.

And no apologies required
Old 08-05-2015, 16:40   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
It was not until i started the engine and ran it in reverse for some time that the trickle turned into drips, and after about 20 minutes the dripping stopped. .
Its normal. Mine does it too when I play with it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 16:50   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its normal. Mine does it too when I play with it.

Mark

Sometimes a simple sentence makes you want to jab your eyes out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:45   #12

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Mark, you mean when you play with it it squirts . Im glad that's the normal behavior.

Mine is not vented, and it seems the leak went away. Motored about 4 hours on Saturday morning, from launch marina to my mooring and all is good. I did observe the shaft while at Cruising RPMs. Shaft is aligned very well. When motoring, one can hardly tell that shaft is rotating b/c there are no visible side movements.
I got a 100 pack of set screws. New ones for the set screw and the old set screw is used to back the new set screw. I don't have backing for the collar. Never had issues with collar moving. The bellow is tight against the collar. Mine is an early rev. i bough it in 2004. I was aware that set screws are a 1 time use. Interesting that PYI does not list the thread size. They want you to buy theirs. I just got mine from mcmaster. On my 1" shaft collar they are 1/4-20.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote