Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 19:54   #1

Boat: adams35
Bukh 24

have a bukh24 about 20 years old,4500 hrs starts everytime little bit of white smoke(just needs new rings)runs great.starting to cruise from cairns to darwin then to s.e.asia.reconditioned engines from bukh in sydney are about $9000 or l can get the rings replaced new engine mounts etc.for about $2500,dont want to change engines because bukhs are great easy to work on can hand start up to 25hp.anyone had any experience with these awesome engines.
gary66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 20:04   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: bukh 24

I had a DV20, but decided to replace it a few years ago. It was 24 years old, the crankcase was getting extremely rusty, low compression, very difficult to start, and parts prohibitively expensive. Replaced it with Yanmar 3YM20 that starts and runs like a charm.

I never actually managed to start the Bukh with the handcrank, have you?
Old 05-11-2011, 20:41   #3

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: bukh 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
parts prohibitively expensive. Get parts on ebay from the uk. half our prices. Replaced it with Yanmar 3YM20 that starts and runs like a charm. I would hope so new should always

I never actually managed to start the Bukh with the handcrank, have you? Yes but mine is only a DV10 Starts after months of no use
Ask your self can I get a recon of any kind for such a low amount check the motor over to see over all condition and make an informed judgment, like if Ziggy had done that hes motor had other issues also so he probably made the correct choice also. for me Id fix mine as its in very good condition.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 21:12   #4

Boat: adams35
Re: Bukh 24

yanmars are great,parts less expensive but l will stay with the bukh.have worked in remote areas in nth australia and p.n.g on fishing boats and all the skippers say never have anything on your boat that you cant fix yourself.have hand started it myself no problems,so when l take the boat out of the water in cairns have to decide how much money to spend.will have a diesel machanic look a it first then decide.
gary66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bukh