Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 30-09-2007, 04:55   #136

NEW THREAD UNDER PROPS AND RUNNING GEAR

Dear sailors

After one summer of prop trials and good sailing, I have decided to refit my shaft system completely.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/refiting-shaft-system-hanse-531-a-10328.html#post103215

I hope the link works

I would appreciate your feedback on that new subject

Thanks
jose r vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 23:10   #137
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Please note Jose's redirect link above. This subject on Jose's propulsion issues is being continued in another thread. The link will take you there.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 15:02   #138

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
There has been some discussion here about Maxiprops, but sparse little has been said about the autoprop. The concept really appeals to me, but it's always good to hear from the folks who are actually using them....so.....what do you autoprop users think about this product?

Much thanks,

TJ
We just threw a blade on ours on 10/20. Fortunately it only took the gelcoat off the hull but the diver said there have been occasions when it actually went through the bottom. We have had it for 5 sailing seasons and it was serviced every year--loved it until now. We were warned by a friend after we ordered it about throwing a blade (he did) but thought that was just a fluke. Will not be ordering it on our new boat. We are investigating a Campbell Sailing Prop which is just one piece.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 15:29   #139

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
More Details?

How many rpms? Where did it break down at? Did you have the Zinc always installed? What Prop was it H6, H5 etc?

What do you think caused it to fail?

Sorry to hear. Scary.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 17:06   #140
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
How many rpms? Where did it break down at? Did you have the Zinc always installed? What Prop was it H6, H5 etc?

What do you think caused it to fail?
Who cares? Seriously? A prop shoud be able to withstand much abuse without failure. I have seen several failed Autoprops and have heard of many more. It is a rare folding or feathering prop (other than Autoprop) that loses a blade, regardless of treatment. Jayncee, before you bail on buying another folding or feathering prop and go to a fixed-blade prop, I urge you to consider and research any of the other well known manufacturer's products. I think Autoprop is a poorly designed piece of equipment and you shouldn't base your opinion of folding or feathering props on it. Just my $.02.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 18:30   #141

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
Thanks for the reply. We liked the Auto-Prop because of the self-pitching feature. What others do you recommend?

We had a new zinc on it this June. We had just pulled in the sails and were entering the Magothy River off the Chesapeake. I was motoring about 3-4 minutes when this terrible noise happened and the boat vibrated tremendously. We motor at 2800 rpms and I backed off to 1200 and it wasn`t too bad. We sailed back to near our marina and restarted the engine and motored in at 1200 rpms. My husband was down below when this happened and he thought we had a collision.

I`m not sure what prop it was but they wanted almost $2000 to send it back and put the blade back on. They also acted as though it wasn`t an unusual occurence. It occurred on a Jeanneau 43 DS.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 19:18   #142
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayncee View Post
What others do you recommend?
I like Max Prop for feathering props. Gori and Martec make very good folders.
Old 19-11-2007, 06:54   #143
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

the practical sailor homes for at thepracticalsailor.com
BAD URL, Rick. Notice how it reposts (here) differently from the way you typed(?) it. That goes to a domain camping site which will be glad to sell you insurance and such but not to the PDF article or to the magazine. Nice thought though.<G>

www.practical-sailor.com/ is the web site of the magazine. Prop article may be for subscribers only?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 08:39   #144

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
My $.02

I have an Autoprop on our Tartan 37, I don't know how long the PO had it but it has been trouble free since we've owned it...3 years now.

It does what it claims to but the mention of it throwing a blade concerns me of course. I'll be taking a real close look at it next time we pull the boat
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 18:42   #145
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Goddam plastic screws on Autoprop zincs! Jeezus, what a poorly designed POS! I hope I never see another one (but I know I will.)
Old 06-12-2007, 19:06   #146

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Our Autoprop has served us well - It's an H6-470.

However they do require servicing! There is a grease fitting that you need to attach to pump in grease whenever you haul (every 2 years in our case).

Also, if you hit something significant (e.g. a crab pot line) or the prop has been neglected you may need to rebuild the prop. Kits are available from Autoprop.

We have pictures of our prop rebuild on our website. see:
Autoprop Rebuild

Yes, we've heard of folks losing a blade... We've also talked to folks who had similar problems with their Maxprops. In two cases they lost their Maxprops completely!

Any prop that has moving parts is subject to failure of those parts.

We carry a spare fixed prop (and nuts) and prop puller just in case. We've never used it.

We've been cruising full time for 4 years now on our 7 year old boat. The Autoprop (and engine) have 1,500 hours (we did a LOT of motoring when we visited the Pacific Northwest).

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 00:52   #147

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Brunton's:
Just had my first two sailing days (ever) was Dec 3/4 2007 on a Broadblue fitted with Brunton's.
Against a force seven towards eight and a strong tide, confused but moderate sea, they seemed to get totally confused. There was reving as if out of water, there was very poor upwind motoring and they are off my list as being safe, let alone an enhancement, until proven otherwise.
We were (four of us) led by a Yacht Master's trainer who owned and frequently sailed a Bavaria in these waters (off Portsmouth UK) but, from others comments, failed to make the best of a Cat's performance so we failed to make Cowes from Chichester and eventually diverted into Portsmouth because we couldn't motor sail into the combination of wind and tide. Is this where others have had problems with the Bruton's. The boat was about 5 tonnes had two 20Hp diesels that were running at 2400 to 3000 revs as we struggled to make half an knot over the ground.
Skipper reckoned the tide was a half knot and the wind speed showed 25 to 29 kn peaking at 34 a couple of times. I, from reading, expected a cat to make 6 to 8 knots with the angle off the wind chosen to maintain that speed with a reasonable progress to windward. We were instructed to hold 40 to 50 off the wind and failed to get a stable run above 5 knots (no power). Rudder was inadequate to hold the course with veering off sluugish when too close and the boat swinging into wind as soon as hull speed picked up at 50 off.
It hasn't put me off by any means but it has demonstrated just how important performance is when the going gets tough. And that means the abilty to perform adequately in tough going.
Skipper was taking this boat round Kent to the London boat show in Jan but now wants a lift out to examine the props for problems.
Is this worth while or should he change to designed for purpose fixed blade props and let them spin when sailing? Or is there an easily rectified fault?
Back up motor for lee shore - USELESS in that configuration and weather. dangerous because though we were lucky we weren't in a lee shore position.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:23   #148

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Autoprops and potential problems

When I spoke to one of their engineers and was getting my prop issue resolved, one of his main concerns was that if you create too fine of a pitch in the prop and are under adverse conditions the prop will pitch almost flat and you'll loose power. Sounds to me like that is what happened to you folks. The need to either pitch is deeper so it will not go flat or increase the dia, IMHO.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:06   #149

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
New boat (1 yr maybe) and props. It's a standard make so I'll check with skipper how he got on. He was talking to owner and Brunton while we were out there and has a trip to do yet.
Performance in harbour was good.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:54   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Broadblue 385

The Broadblue 385 is quoted as having an air draft of 61' and must have substantial air resistance.

It might be rated as equivalent to a 45' monohull.

The propellers might be small in diameter.

It would not surprise me if two 20hp Volvos had trouble moving it against 35 knots on the nose and a confused sea.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote