Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 14:56   #1

YachtPro Thailand

I am brand new to this site and pretty new to sailing too so please bear with my ignorance!
Currently having a bit of free time as we're travelling and my hubbie can babysit our 13 month old for about 4 weeks I have been looking into a 4w Fastrack to Coastal Skipper course with YachtPro Thailand. It appeals to me because of its duration and flexibility. However I do want to spend my money most wisely as you know these causes arn't cheap.
I'm not sure of what the equivalent to this course would be with the RYA. A Coastal Skipper course with the RYA seems to take at least 8 weeks so are they not equivalent?
At YachPro we do ASA 101, 103, 104, 105 and 106.
My long term goal is to have a boat and possibly charter it out to people with a skipper or day groups on day trips. Am I better to get a course that might lead me more down a commercial route with that in mind?
We are flying to Phuket in April but we have until the end of the year for me to get a sailing course in somewhere. I don't really have the freedom to do any courses longer than 4 weeks at this stage. In the future I can free up more time for further courses but not just yet.
Advice much appreciated, thanks
kat2her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: YachtPro Thailand

Hi
You could consider taking the IYT Fast-track to Bareboat skipper course International Bareboat Skipper (Power or Sail) | Recreational | Courses | IYT Worldwide with us down here in the BVI, if you are motivated you could progress to this level in 12 days of instruction, the Fast -track to bareboat skipper is live-aboard residential course, you can see details of the course here Tortola Sailing School – Learn to sail in the friendliest BVI Sailing School – IYT Bareboat FAST-TRACK
Once you have attained the required additional sea miles you could then progress to the Yachtmaster Coastal.
I am always happy to offer a discount on these courses to Forum Members, please PM me for details.
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 16:33   #3

Thanks Tortola Sailing, we're leaving the Central Americas early April headed for Asia so I'm more looking for one over that way, thanks though. I am certainly wanting to do mile building and my Yachtmasters in the Caribbean though so i'll be in touch further down the track. Thank you
Old 29-04-2014, 19:48   #4

I recommend SailQuest in Pattaya, based at Ocean Marina. You can do the IYT bareboat Skipper's Certificate in two weeks. It's a good foundation and you get to sail some interesting waters which will test your knowledge (lots of night lights to make sense of, fishing nets and traps to dodge, shipping lanes to cross etc.). Call Captain Tim.
JustCroozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 16:15   #5

Hi Tim, thanks for that reply.
I did decide to go with Yacht pro and started the course 2 days ago. For anyone who is interested I can post how it goes.
Cheers, Kat
Old 01-06-2014, 02:16   #6

Hello Kat,

I'm also looking for courses in Phuket.
Can you please update how your experience YachtPro went?

Longie
Longie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Thailand, yacht