Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 22:56   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Where are all the newbie sailors?

Not entirely pertaining to this thread, but the title made me think of it.

Earlier this year I went sailing with a long time friend that I hadn't seen in probably more than 10 years. I used to crew for him sailing in races on a local lake. This particular day we only saw two other sailboats on the lake (and not many more power boats). He said that sailing was dying off at that lake, literally. The men and women who had sailed there for decades were dying and very few new boaters were coming to the area. Just in the past couple years they had had several memorial services on the water for boater friends.

It just seems tragic and sad to me that a past time I grew up enjoying so much is just fading away.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 00:37   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustychase View Post
Hi there! I just joined myself because I'm an aspiring sailor, not yet anywhere close to making it a dream come true though. Once I get these student loans paid off, I'll be looking into buying my own Bluewater boat, as I wish to live aboard and go as many places as I can.

I was also wondering where all the newbies are, and also the younger ones!
Welcome! Youngens are out there but the vast majority are older. I've been wondering the same thing for 10 years now, and suddenly maybe I'm not young anymore either..who knows..

Age is less of a barrier out cruising. Young/old, rich/poor, cats/monos, it doesn't really matter. Though it's always fun to come across boats with the same demographics.

Don't let it stop you!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:31   #18

I believe that most newbie sailors can be found at the local sailing clubs. We have several here with very robust and relatively inexpensive (in sailing terms). Membership fees start at just under $1000 per season, May 1 to Nov 1, which not bad compared to the seasonal costs of skiing for example. Of course it helps to live in a well populated area with a robust sailing scene. May be that should be the start of any search for other newbie sailors. Being in the middle of Kansas or some such may not produce as good search results. ))

PS No offense to any Kansas sailors here. )))
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:28   #19

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
So master mariners with sixty years of experience have to sit in a classroom with acne faced PWC wannabe's just to keep doing what they already do?
No......
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Never heard of a permit to boat here in the states. Your boat has to have a registration and if it has an outboard motor it has to have a separate registration for that also.
24 states require a certificate of some sort
sonofasonofasailer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 10:28   #21

Hallo Dory!

How I remember my Day Skipper practical - in the Solent (South part of England). (Sorry I don't know where you are from your profile.) Always remember, when considering wind or tide - tide, always, tide will be the prevailing consideration! heeheehee I'm grinning to myself as I write this. It wasn't a catastrophic mistake or anything, just a 'teaching moment', as they say.

I think the only shortcoming of the RYA qualification system is the gap between Competent Crew and Day Skipper. *How to get that onboard experience?* Anyway, you will. I think the most cool thing about this forum is that overwhelmingly, fellow sailors will encourage you to get out there and do it. Prepare as best you can - then go.

Best of luck with your Day Skipper. And continued sea miles from there!

Warmly,
Maura
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 13:44   #22

Good afternoon.....I am also a newbie sailor and decided to follow Cruisers Forum as I find the information, reviews and other areas of great interest. In my case I'm still chasing my dream about being on the water.....At 62 I moved from Canada to Mexico about 4 years ago to retire as I absolutely love the lifestyle. I completed my home here in Aguascalientes 2 years ago and now seriously thinking of selling it and spending some time on the water. Although my sailing experience is limited to crewing on a 30' soling many years ago...my plan (without going into all the details) would be
1. Sell my home (since I have to get near or on the water somehow!)
...By doing so I would have about $140,000 USD. (without having to dip into my other investments)
2. Take the necessary sailing courses so that I would be proficient enough to crew and gain experience on a sailboat....being retired (and single) gives me the advantage of taking on an cruise for any length of time which is nice!
3. Do my research (which has already started) on what kind of boat I'd like to purchase and live aboard.....I know that I would like something close to 40' that I could base somewhere along the coast here in Mexico and travel up and down the coastline as I gain more experience. I would use $100K for purchase of the boat (Hopefully I could get something like a Bavaria 40....year 2011 or close)...and use the balance for upgrades, insurance, moorage, etc.

So that's it.....that's my plan.....Sound crazy!....Maybe....maybe not....but I know one thing for sure - life is too short to sit around contemplating what I should have done...and I don't want to look back when I'm not capable of doing this and saying to myself...."Why didn't I do that".....Go ahead a Live Life
Dennis Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 03:13   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dennis.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 03:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where are all the newbie sailors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clarke View Post
Good afternoon.....I am also a newbie sailor and decided to follow Cruisers Forum as I find the information, reviews and other areas of great interest. In my case I'm still chasing my dream about being on the water.....At 62 I moved from Canada to Mexico about 4 years ago to retire as I absolutely love the lifestyle. I completed my home here in Aguascalientes 2 years ago and now seriously thinking of selling it and spending some time on the water. Although my sailing experience is limited to crewing on a 30' soling many years ago...my plan (without going into all the details) would be
1. Sell my home (since I have to get near or on the water somehow!)
...By doing so I would have about $140,000 USD. (without having to dip into my other investments)
2. Take the necessary sailing courses so that I would be proficient enough to crew and gain experience on a sailboat....being retired (and single) gives me the advantage of taking on an cruise for any length of time which is nice!
3. Do my research (which has already started) on what kind of boat I'd like to purchase and live aboard.....I know that I would like something close to 40' that I could base somewhere along the coast here in Mexico and travel up and down the coastline as I gain more experience. I would use $100K for purchase of the boat (Hopefully I could get something like a Bavaria 40....year 2011 or close)...and use the balance for upgrades, insurance, moorage, etc.

So that's it.....that's my plan.....Sound crazy!....Maybe....maybe not....but I know one thing for sure - life is too short to sit around contemplating what I should have done...and I don't want to look back when I'm not capable of doing this and saying to myself...."Why didn't I do that".....Go ahead a Live Life
Sounds like a plan to me..
Welcome... and Best wishes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 08:27   #25

Boat: 43 Mikelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
So master mariners with sixty years of experience have to sit in a classroom with acne faced PWC wannabe's just to keep doing what they already do?

You take the course online. It’s very easy if you have been “boating” for many years. Might be good to bring some people we all complain about up to speed on the regulations.It was free through Boat USA.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:26   #26
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Newbie here, too. I've been lurking for a long time, making notes, reading, creating spreadsheets.

Getting closer to our goal
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:43   #27

Boat: MacGregor 26

Newbie. Working on fixing that
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:19   #28

I too am new sailed on daysailors in the river for years and on other people’s sailboats years ago. Missed sailing looked at classes on bigger boat sailing and seen what it cost decided to spend that money on a boat. Looked around and decided on an island packet 350 bought it and am learning everyday. Selling house and stuff hope to sail off we are late 40s.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:47   #29

Boat: Whitby 42

On the East coast most states now require some sort if basic boating safety course to operate over a certain hp, which is not a terrible thing.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 12:48   #30

Newbie here as well! Completed ASA 101, 103 and NauticEd Basic Keel/Skipper this summer. Joined the Seattle Sailing Club which has a bunch of great programs to crew and join in on to gain experience and knowledge, as well as offering tons of classes at the club house. love it!
KandPRICHARDSON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail