Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 12:33   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: USCG bust illegal charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
As I recall if you are using your masters license you need to be enrolled in a random drug testing program. The uscg won’t call you in. Your program, that you are required to enroll in, will.
These programs are typically part of a normal employment as a merchant mariner. If you are self employed it’s your responsibility to be enrolled in a program.
If you have a license and are not using it commercially you do not need to be enrolled.
Correct. I have a 200 ton license but am not currently working under it. I am not currently enrolled in a program but am up for renewal. I will have to get a one-time drug test the same as I did when I first applied.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 12:42   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...including annual inspections and drills. Ive been captian/crew on a couple of inspected vessels. Each season the Coasties conducted an inspection which included MOB and fire fighting drills. No pass = No ticket for the season (though you do get a chance to remedy any deficiencies).
Actually there are quite a few extra equipment retirements for uninspected vessels, but since nobody checks that you comply, few people do it. If you have an accident and a passenger gets hurt, no can be assured thier lawyer press that issue. Here in Michigan, the DNR does inspect six-packs, their requirements are a lot more than the federal, and the penalties are just as bad. Fishing charters are a huge business here and if somebody tries to do it illegally, their legal competitors rat them out in a heartbeat. Too much competition already.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:02   #18

Quote:
The Coasties do less than ideal things like that sometimes. I think its because most of their recruits have no small boat exeprience. Every young Coastie Ive met is from somewhere like Idaho and never been on the sea before.

I wonder if it is a deliberate recruiting strategy?
I hope it is not a deliberate strategy. It is just putting THEIR people at risk. Quite a bit of traffic where they did the boarding and that day the sea state was a bit nasty. We have seen worse but it was still not a sea state where I would want to be getting on/off vessels as the bounced around. If they have had just motored five or so minutes to starboard they would have been out of the inlet and into much flatter water.

The other rude part is to the passengers. Wallowing around in the inlet wash tub is NOT fun and likely gets some people sick. A maximum of five minutes to starboard would have minimized the danger to the coasties and passengers, as well as made the passengers FAR more comfortable.

I am glad the coasties where out there and they do need to check those vessels but do it with a bit more care and thought.

We heard the radio traffic about the boardings as we were coming in but when I saw the commercial traffic, I figured the USCG was going after the big dogs and would not be after little ol' us.

Can't remember if it was the same day, but I think it was, a couple jet skiers somehow went up on the inlet jetty. Never did find out how they managed to get into that kind of trouble. They were lucky in that the USCG was right there as well as 2-3 local and state law enforcement boats. A few more LEO boats came in for the rescue too. At least one of the people on the jet ski was put on an ambulance.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Don't know why they did not stop out past the safe water buoy or let the boats go a few hundred yards west of the inlet where the wave action was so much better.
In the process of complying, you can request that both vessels move to a preferred location for safety. ("I'd be happy to let you board, would you mind if we moved over <blah> so we can hold position and transfer people in safety??")

No sense in BOTH parties being stupid. Just because a cop puts on his lights while you're in the passing lane on the highway doesn't mean you need to stop in the MIDDLE of the highway.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
In the process of complying, you can request that both vessels move to a preferred location for safety. ("I'd be happy to let you board, would you mind if we moved over <blah> so we can hold position and transfer people in safety??")

No sense in BOTH parties being stupid. Just because a cop puts on his lights while you're in the passing lane on the highway doesn't mean you need to stop in the MIDDLE of the highway.
Agreed. I don't know why either vessel stopped where they did. The inlet is also pretty busy and they kinda plugged it up a bit. Not a big deal but just a few hundred yards to starboard, things would be soooo much easier and better for everyone....

Later,
Dan
Old 19-02-2021, 13:31   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Actually there are quite a few extra equipment retirements for uninspected vessels, but since nobody checks that you comply, few people do it. If you have an accident and a passenger gets hurt, no can be assured thier lawyer press that issue. Here in Michigan, the DNR does inspect six-packs, their requirements are a lot more than the federal, and the penalties are just as bad. Fishing charters are a huge business here and if somebody tries to do it illegally, their legal competitors rat them out in a heartbeat. Too much competition already.
Yes, there are some additional Federal level equipment requirements for uninspected over recreational but nothing onerous, YMMV by State. Probably only an issue if found lacking as a result of a bad event...by either your insurance co or opposing legal council or both...neither are on your side.

Some venues check more than others. Florida has lots of enforcement resources on the water and they do spot checks...though sailing vessels are way less likely to get checked than small power vessels.

Due to extensive enforcement resources, Florida is one of the dumbest places to try and run illegal charters.

Like MI, in most venues its not likely the officials who will catch you, but the legal operators who will drop a dime on you. Was that way in Belize too. Its such a pain to get and stay legal there that I would gladly drop a dime on an illegal charter operator.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:36   #22

Quote:
I hope it is not a deliberate strategy. It is just putting THEIR people at risk. Quite a bit of traffic where they did the boarding and that day the sea state was a bit nasty. We have seen worse but it was still not a sea state where I would want to be getting on/off vessels as the bounced around. If they have had just motored five or so minutes to starboard they would have been out of the inlet and into much flatter water.

The other rude part is to the passengers. Wallowing around in the inlet wash tub is NOT fun and likely gets some people sick. A maximum of five minutes to starboard would have minimized the danger to the coasties and passengers, as well as made the passengers FAR more comfortable.

I am glad the coasties where out there and they do need to check those vessels but do it with a bit more care and thought.

We heard the radio traffic about the boardings as we were coming in but when I saw the commercial traffic, I figured the USCG was going after the big dogs and would not be after little ol' us. [emoji3]

Can't remember if it was the same day, but I think it was, a couple jet skiers somehow went up on the inlet jetty. Never did find out how they managed to get into that kind of trouble. They were lucky in that the USCG was right there as well as 2-3 local and state law enforcement boats. A few more LEO boats came in for the rescue too. At least one of the people on the jet ski was put on an ambulance.

Later,
Dan
I wonder if its deliberate so they can teach them the "Coastie way" and not have a bunch of water kids from Florida who already think they know it all.
Old 19-02-2021, 13:38   #23

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
The Coasties do less than ideal things like that sometimes. I think its because most of their recruits have no small boat exeprience. Every young Coastie Ive met is from somewhere like Idaho and never been on the sea before.

I wonder if it is a deliberate recruiting strategy?
That was me (not from Idaho though). 17 years old and never stepped on a boat. First assignment was on a 44' MLB in Cleveland harbor. Good times!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 10:26   #24

Quote:
...like the Tiki Hut Bar boat going down the ICW. Can't remember how many people he had on board but it was quite a few and gave us the willeys.
If you are talking about the floating tiki hut that operates out of John's Pass, in the Tampa Bay area, they are a six-pack operation. There should not be more than six passengers onboard.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 06:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
That was me (not from Idaho though). 17 years old and never stepped on a boat. First assignment was on a 44' MLB in Cleveland harbor. Good times!
And your fellow cadets had similar backgrounds?
Old 21-02-2021, 07:32   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Good for the USCG. These "bootleg" operations are bad for the legitimate charter business! Same for uninsured tech's underbidding licensed, insured, certified ones.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 09:02   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Correct. I have a 200 ton license but am not currently working under it. I am not currently enrolled in a program but am up for renewal. I will have to get a one-time drug test the same as I did when I first applied.
That's weird... I remember I had to get tested when I first got my 6-pack license but I also remember being given two options;

(a) enroll in a random program where they can call me whenever, or
(b) enroll in a voluntary, sequential program (i.e. show up every 2 months voluntarily)

I did enroll in the random testing program... even though I don't work as a merchant mariner, they are allowed to call me up any time and I have to show up for the urine test. It makes sense and I support this 100%.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 10:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If you are talking about the floating tiki hut that operates out of John's Pass, in the Tampa Bay area, they are a six-pack operation. There should not be more than six passengers onboard.
No, this one is in SC.

Later,
Dan
Old 04-07-2021, 07:42   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Another one..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coast-gua...004300517.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags