Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 06:57   #1

Recommendations for Competent Crew course out of Conwy, Wales

Hello all, been lurking for a few months just reading, and now I have a question!

Has anyone got any experience or opinions on any of these sailing schools?

Celtic Cruising - Holidays under sail
Conwy Yacht Charter RYA Sail Training North Wales Skippered Sailing Day Cruises
BOOM Sail, Power and Race Training – Yacht charter, sail, power and race training from Conwy North Wales

I'm a complete beginner just starting my journey into sailing and want to do the RYA Competent Crew course (it seems a good place to start after signing up for the local "push the boat out" thing). These places all operate out of Conwy which is reasonably close to me (South Manchester), but with no experience it's hard to choose.

I'm leaning towards Celtic Cruising, they seem to have good experience and their site is more welcoming, but has anyone else had experience with any of these places?

Thanks!
will_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:18   #2

Re: Recommendations for Competent Crew course out of Conwy, Wales

Not had experience with any of these mate. I'm based in Cardiff . But went abroad (Croatia)to do my dayskipper Lived aboard for a week and had a decent Holliday too. Cost wasn't that much different. Competent crew aboard too. Had a scream [emoji1303]. Best thing to do is email the schools your interested in the friendlier ones will be instantly apparent. If they are RYA they'll be regulated and have to keep certain standards so pick the one that suits you the best. Good luck
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 16:46   #3

Re: Recommendations for Competent Crew course out of Conwy, Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Not had experience with any of these mate. I'm based in Cardiff . But went abroad (Croatia)to do my dayskipper Lived aboard for a week and had a decent Holliday too. Cost wasn't that much different. Competent crew aboard too. Had a scream [emoji1303]. Best thing to do is email the schools your interested in the friendlier ones will be instantly apparent. If they are RYA they'll be regulated and have to keep certain standards so pick the one that suits you the best. Good luck
Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll email and see what response I get!

Will.
will_j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, men