Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 00:59   #16

Re: recommendations about books to prepare Yachtmaster exams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clarke View Post
Just finished my Yachtmaster theory exam and I would have to say that without completing this course step by step - I believe in my opinion, it would be somewhat difficult to pass the exam otherwise. Things such as understanding all of the Regs. tidal calculations in Secondary ports using interpolation, identification of various weather systems and forecasts...and the list goes on...remember you need 75-80% to pass and get your certificate so there's not a lot of room for error.....so now I have both Dayskipper and Yachtmaster certificates and have to say that the background, information and context of these courses provides me with an outstanding overview of what I can now apply for my practical application...an RYA course I'm planning to take starting in Feb. based out of Hamble Le Rice in England.

I guess it depends on how serious you are about sailing and making sure that you have the right training and knowledge when you need it most....because saving money (and again this is just my opinion) and / or cutting corners on training may come back to haunt you when your at sea and it really counts.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess this answer confirms implicitly that even though knowing the theory is important to be able to pass the practical exam, there is NOT a requirement to pay for a Yachtmaster theory course to be able to pass the practical exams: Yachtmaster Coastal, Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean.

I guess learning the theory on your own with books can be done. Moreover, I gues the ease to learn the theory on your own with books without attending any classes depends on each person's skills to learn on his own.

Thanks
thosecars82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, mast, men, yacht