Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2024, 23:45   #1

Looking for a casual private instructor. (Vancouver)

In search of a laid-back private instructor, as I've just bought a 43 ft sailboat in Point Roberts, WA. With a newborn son and my wife, I can't commit to intensive courses. Hence, I'm looking for someone to teach me basic single-handed sailing skills. The training should be relaxed, with flexible timing, and the instructor should be friendly towards Asian families with young children. No certifications required. Please PM me if you're interested.
ChrisRadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 17:01   #2

Re: Looking for a casual private instructor. (Vancouver)

Hallo Chris :-)

No takers yet, I see. Possibly because Pt.Roberts is such an awkward place. It used to be lovely "distant suburb" of Vancouver, and a bit of a summer resort. No more. Now it is just "America", and we have plenty of hassle-free resort destinations and superior sailing water north of 49.

Depending on where you are domiciled you may wish to look for moorage on "our side", but you've probably already done that and found that the waiting lists are enormously long.

While you haven't told us just what kinda boat it is you've bought, the overwhelming likelihood is that it is a relatively modern boat with appropriate inboard power. Entering and leaving Pt.R Marina under power is an absolute doddle, so there is no reason that in suitable weather you should not "take her to sea" under power and teach yourself to sail.

The basic boat handling under canvas is so totally simple that I could teach you in an afternoon. To put polish on your boat-handling takes rather longer than that, and to become a competent skipper takes much, much longer than that again.

But then, once you have the basic boat handling under control, most of what you still have to learn from there on is really "book larnin'". Not difficult, just copious and sometimes abstruse.

A "43" is actually a good size to learn on, but often, in boats that have been in competent hands before they were used for learning/teaching, learning will be impeded by their having been fitted with a plethora of "toys" that may indeed confer certain benefits to an experienced, competent man, but are only awkward and confusing for the novice.

I will guarantee you that if you are willing to start at the very, very beginning, which is to motor out of your slip into Boundary Bay, wearing no canvas at all, and to motor back in again (all singlehanded), and if you are willing to follow my instructions slavishly, we can get you over that first hump so when you have developed some confidence in coming and going, we can begin to look at handling the boat under sail.

Proceeding under sail and proceeding under power are two entirely different regimes and, given the present state of technology and of the world, it is in my opinion absolutely essential that you master motoring as a prerequisite to mastering sailing.

Bonne chance

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 00:05   #3

Re: Looking for a casual private instructor. (Vancouver)

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm looking forward to learning from you. I'll send you a private message once I get home. I'm heading back to Calgary tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hallo Chris :-)

No takers yet, I see. Possibly because Pt.Roberts is such an awkward place. It used to be lovely "distant suburb" of Vancouver, and a bit of a summer resort. No more. Now it is just "America", and we have plenty of hassle-free resort destinations and superior sailing water north of 49.

Depending on where you are domiciled you may wish to look for moorage on "our side", but you've probably already done that and found that the waiting lists are enormously long.

While you haven't told us just what kinda boat it is you've bought, the overwhelming likelihood is that it is a relatively modern boat with appropriate inboard power. Entering and leaving Pt.R Marina under power is an absolute doddle, so there is no reason that in suitable weather you should not "take her to sea" under power and teach yourself to sail.

The basic boat handling under canvas is so totally simple that I could teach you in an afternoon. To put polish on your boat-handling takes rather longer than that, and to become a competent skipper takes much, much longer than that again.

But then, once you have the basic boat handling under control, most of what you still have to learn from there on is really "book larnin'". Not difficult, just copious and sometimes abstruse.

A "43" is actually a good size to learn on, but often, in boats that have been in competent hands before they were used for learning/teaching, learning will be impeded by their having been fitted with a plethora of "toys" that may indeed confer certain benefits to an experienced, competent man, but are only awkward and confusing for the novice.

I will guarantee you that if you are willing to start at the very, very beginning, which is to motor out of your slip into Boundary Bay, wearing no canvas at all, and to motor back in again (all singlehanded), and if you are willing to follow my instructions slavishly, we can get you over that first hump so when you have developed some confidence in coming and going, we can begin to look at handling the boat under sail.

Proceeding under sail and proceeding under power are two entirely different regimes and, given the present state of technology and of the world, it is in my opinion absolutely essential that you master motoring as a prerequisite to mastering sailing.

Bonne chance

TrentePieds
ChrisRadon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vancouver