Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2023, 23:04   #1

Free/Paid Maritime Course Materials

Hey all, I live here in Australia and am looking to enroll in some courses in the new year, more just pursuing an interest right now but am looking for a career change eventually.
So, my plan is to enroll in Coxswains Grade 1 and then CERT IV In Maritime Operations (Masters 45 her in Aus).
As I won't be starting the course until the end of Feb, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some reference materials, textbooks, or free courses that I can study in the meantime to prepare?
Really, if you can recommend anything that you think might help give me a head start I would be super grateful.
I understand that there's no substitute for practical experience but that will come I'm sure.
I grew up on the coast here in Aus so I have a rec boat licence already and owned small fishing boats so not a total noob if that helps.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice.
SaltyNomad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 23:08   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Free/Paid Maritime Course Materials

Here’s a good place to start:
Sailtrain: Training for RYA Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster sailing courses.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 23:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Great! Thanks for the reply. I'll check this out.
Old 26-12-2023, 03:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Check out Ardent Training, they offer a free trial to their RYA online theory courses. But you can also view their YouTube videos too which I really like.

There will be losts of other great learnings too online, but be careful with youtube videos and other free online content, best to check who has provided it and if they are just another 'self appointed expert' or if they are actually genuine maritime qualified instructors.
justkeepsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 15:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkeepsailing View Post
Check out Ardent Training, they offer a free trial to their RYA online theory courses. But you can also view their YouTube videos too which I really like.

There will be losts of other great learnings too online, but be careful with youtube videos and other free online content, best to check who has provided it and if they are just another 'self appointed expert' or if they are actually genuine maritime qualified instructors.
Thanks, this looks like a great resource, yes this is why I figured it best to come here to ask my question, rather than waste time going down Google rabbit holes and risking picking up some bad habits.
Thanks again.
Old 26-12-2023, 16:04   #6

Your plan is to become a commercial skipper ?? so seatime is going to be the main obstacle, maybe skip coxswains and do master <24 , the course content is not dramatically different. If your aim is to be superyacht crew, RYA and STCW might be the path of least resistance, its a hard slog to get adequate seatime for a Master 5 or the corresponding MCA master 200 ton.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 16:10   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Self study ... International Collission Regulations
https://www.nomadsailing.co.uk/learn...gulations.html
Old 27-12-2023, 13:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Your plan is to become a commercial skipper ?? so seatime is going to be the main obstacle, maybe skip coxswains and do master <24 , the course content is not dramatically different. If your aim is to be superyacht crew, RYA and STCW might be the path of least resistance, its a hard slog to get adequate seatime for a Master 5 or the corresponding MCA master 200 ton.
My goals are a bit loose at the moment, I'm 42 and work as a Structural Designer, ultimately I would like to be qualified as a commercial skipper. I'm also in the market for a monohull sailboat in 2024 and have done a couple of month-long trips on a small cat already (years ago). I think I'm looking for a qualification that complements a cruising lifestyle and to be able to pick up work in the maritime industry when I need it. I think going straight to Masters<24 is a good idea, that would save a bit of money also (rather than paying for two courses). The cost of the course is quite reasonable, which is why I can just do it out of interest and see where it can lead me. Thanks for the reply and the info. I'll do some more research on RYA and STCW qualifications. Thanks.
Old 27-12-2023, 13:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thanks, the website looks like theres a lot of good info on there. Cheers.