Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50   #1

Florida Base for Shore-Based Classes?

My husband and I will be living on our Pearson 323 this winter in FL. He is RYA Day Skipper and I have no qualifications yet. We want to access courses for navigation in particular. Does anyone have a recommendation for a welcoming area in FL where we can simply learn while we live onboard and put it all to good use? Many thanks!
lottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 13:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you want a formal class then you should seek out the local USCG Auxiliary. They should have several chapters in close range of you. These are volunteers that teach courses in many things related to boating. They have two classes in navigation and the cost is minimal for the course materials. The instructors usually include former professional navigators. Some were military and others commercial.

It's a great course and you'll actually have hands on instruction. Most of the rest of the courses are home study with a test at the end unlike the USCG Auxiliary.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:47   #3

Many thanks, that is a great idea and we will look into the USCG classes.
Cheers!
lottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 14:05   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...
I actually took both USCG and USS nav courses, I have to say that although well-intentioned, my USCG instructor wasn't so terrific...In any case, you may or may not be aware that the Chapman School is in Stuart, they have both commercial and recreational classes. Some years back I took ASA 101 and 103 there, and I though the facility and the instructors were first rate. They should be able to give you some info about mooring in the area as well, there are also a couple of nice marinas on site or in walking distance.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 15:07   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
In Florida you'll never be far from a USCG class. Here in Central Florida we have a a couple of very organized groups who offer courses and would love to have you in their class. Most of the instructors are retired gents who take this very seriously.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida