Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2023, 05:52   #1

Boat: Bali 4.8 Catamaran
Flagging boat in Poland

I want to place my boat with a charter company in St. Barts and they say I need to flag my boat in Poland because to operate in St. Barts it has to be registered in the EU. The document company that handled my boat purchase is telling me my finance company will not allow this.

I called the finance company and all they said was that they hold the title and will not release it until the loan is paid. They acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

I am posting this question here to see if anyone is aware of problems registering a boat in Poland with a finance company in the US holding the title.

Isn't the title and registration two different things like a car? I am getting conflicting information.
Karlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 06:27   #2

Re: Flagging boat in Poland

I just put my boat on the Polish register, they seem to take all-comers. It was quick and easy and cost Euro 420 through a company in the UK www.polish-yacht-registration.com
cacique66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 06:43   #3

Isn't the title and registration two different things like a car? I am getting conflicting information.[/QUOTE]

Having sold vessels in the both the US and Europe, it seems the US Broker community makes much more of a big deal over title documents than in their counterparts in Europe. Despite this, title documents only ever come down to your Boat's Registry, which should list you as the owner and, if needed, the Bill of Sale you signed when you bought the boat. These are all you would ever need to establish legal ownership in any jurisdiction I am aware of.
cacique66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 09:09   #4

It's doubtful if you'd be able to register a boat in another country if a bank in the U.S. has a lien on it, unless your bank expressly agrees. You're probably not supposed to take it out of the U.S. as a condition of your lien.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 11:57   #5

Is your boat financed? That is what I am trying to determine if the Polish registration has anything to do with the title held by the bank.
Old 24-10-2023, 12:02   #6

It is being flagged in the US and destined for charter in the BVI. So, being out of the US is not an issue. I just have a new opportunity for charter in St. Barts.
Old 27-10-2023, 08:32   #7

Can I register a USCG Documented vessel in Poland? I will own the boat outright and am looking at spending less than 3 months per year in US waters. If I register the boat in my home state I will have to pay 6.25% of the selling price to the state in tax. is there a legal way to avoid paying that tax?
Direstraits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Poland