Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-10-2020, 09:01   #1

ENG 1 Medical & color blindess

Hello All.

I'm A Canadian citizen living in Canada, I'm in the process of having my RYA Yachtmaster certification commercially endorsed as I'm working my way towards becoming a professional seafarer in the Yachting industry. After some research on the ENG 1 Medical requirements I've realized that I have a vision condition that may cause me some challenges passing this medical , simply put I'm color blind to some degree.

As part of my standard yearly medical exam I was tested by my optician here in Canada, She used the standard Ishihara color test (the circles & dots) and confirmed my vision condition, I asked her about any other vision tests I could take that could accurately measure my deficiency and possibly clear a path to the ENG 1 with no restrictions ? She did not know of any here in Canada or US ?

Through my research I've identified a vision test called Color Assessment and Diagnosis (CAD) which if I pass would possibly clear a path to the ENG 1 with no vision restrictions. Apparently this test is only offered in the UK.

Does anyone have any info, advise, experience...etc. on how to go about this ?
The Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, medical