Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 09:13   #1

Boat: Morgan 416 Dadidoc
Send a message via AIM to dadidoc
2020 Approach to Getting a Captains License?

I am interested in getting my captains license following 10 years of cruising on the Chesapeake in a Morgan Out Island. About ready to leave my current industry job, more or less retire, and just do something different - likely within the marine industry. Thinking the captains license will help with insurance and make me a better captain as my wife and I progress to coastal and water sailing">blue water sailing throughout New England and likely south. I currently live in the Philly suburbs- sail out of Rock Hall.

- What classroom, hands on, instructor led venues are preferred, popular and reputable?

- What online and virtual approaches are preferred, popular, reputable? This approach has gained momentum.

I pretty much can afford the time and money involved to do this but have been overwhelmed with all the venues being offered. I visited different booths at he boat show">Annapolis Boat show, but am looking for references, endorsements and first hand knowledge. Thoughts? Advice? Lessons Learned?
dadidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:50   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: 2020 Approach to Getting a Captains License?

I got my license with https://www.marinerslearningsystem.c...icense-courses
Good program, worthwhile to get the extra knowledge, but check with your insurance first, mine didn’t care that I had a license. So glad I did it, but didn’t save me any $$
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 18:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

I am a USCG Qualified Instructor and teach the 100 Ton Masters license for a training company.

There are 3 issues to think about when selecting a training program.

1. Training Format
There are basically three training formats
A. Online with an in person testing day.
Online training is very hard to stay motivated and complete the training.
B. Weekends classroom with a testing day at the end.
This training is spread out over a long time and on test day it is hard to remember all the material and pass the tests.
C. One Week straight with tests taken on the last day.
I think this is the best option because you retain the material.

2. Class size.
Some training classes can be very large and it is hard to learn in these classes.

3. Material Covered in the class.
Some training classes are just for the six pack license and then you take another class to upgrade to the 100 Ton Masters.
The you have to take another class for the towing endorsement.
And finally another class for the sailing endorsement.
Try to find a company that offers a single class that covers all of the above.

The class that I conduct is
1. One week 8 hours a day with the tests on the final day
2. The class is limited to 12 people max.
3. One class covers the 100 Ton Masters, Towing and sailing endorsements.

Good luck and please do not study before taking a class.
The hardest thing I have to do in my training classes to get people to unlearn wrong material.

Here is our website.
https://www.glctraining.com/events-listing/
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 19:17   #4

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

What Captain Graham said - 100%

One note - the different elements will be presented depending on the needs/desires of the school's normal customers - my wife & I took our classes in Cape Coral, FL (The Captains School - recommended, but probably too far away from you ) and the students were mostly looking for 6-pacs to take folks out fishing, or 100-ton with towing endorsement. We were the only ones interested (or qualified) for the sail endorsement, but the instructor made a special arrangement for us.

You would do well to talk over your needs with the school before committing -a school should be able to accommodate you, but you want to be sure. Also make sure they'll help you with the paperwork (and medical, TWIC card, etc.) if you need it - saved us a LOT of running around!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:08   #5

Agreed about the 10 days class. But I just cancelled because of the pandemic. I will consider going on line. I followed and passed the exams in 2009 and the most difficult will be to stay concentrated and not get bored...
rcolesny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:50   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadidoc View Post
- What classroom, hands on, instructor led venues are preferred, popular and reputable?

I've been pleased with the Annapolis School of Seamanship, both for diesel courses and for Master's Credential courses.

-Chris
Old 27-03-2020, 05:45   #7

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Take the class with others,,,,,,,,, you will gain valuable skills and knowledge helping others and letting others help you, especially important w/ navigation skills
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 07:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've been pleased with the Annapolis School of Seamanship, both for diesel courses and for Master's Credential courses.

-Chris
^^^^ I agree. Annapolis School of Seamanship was a great help not just with the class and test, but also helping me work through some extra complexities of the license process unique to my situation.

Doing this through a good school with an experienced staff is WAY, WAY, easier than doing it on your own. The tangled web of rules and procedures when you are working as an individual with the the USCG will drive you to drink.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 20:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
I got my license with https://www.marinerslearningsystem.c...icense-courses
Good program, worthwhile to get the extra knowledge, but check with your insurance first, mine didn’t care that I had a license. So glad I did it, but didn’t save me any $$

Agree it is really worth it though challenging and time consuming. Wasn't doing it for insurance reasons but didn't really see any benefit. In the end, the knowledge probably makes you safer so that might be its own savings by preventing a claim!

By the way, in addition to attending a program I found it is useful to continually practice exam questions. USCG Exam Prep was a lifesaver for that:
https://www.uscgexamprep.com
jgrumby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, license