Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 20:07   #16

Re: ENG 1 Medical & color blindess

I Do not know if there is any place in Canada Where you can take a lantern test.
I do no a couple of people who used to work in the marine industry in Canada who are color blind and have failed the standard Ishara test.

They were able to get a restricted medical which prohibited any bridge watch keeping duties.
Naturally this eliminates the possibility of a Comercial deck licence Or certificate of any kind.

If there is anywhere the Lantern test can still be taken in Canada.

Julie Bedard
Director, Marine Medicine & Pilotage Programs.
Might know or should know she is in charge of the program.

Good luck getting a quick answer, at this time, Unrestricted marine medical are taking over 6 months to process.
Or
It is possible if you contact the CMSG Canadian Merchant Service Guild. they will probably know. How or where you can get a lantern test in Canada.

In the UK the lantern test used to be conducted in the Dept of Transport Marine office in major centers where DOT exams were conducted.
It’s now the MCA, it can probably still be taken at a MCA exam office. The test is conducted by an examiner.

I have taken the lantern test, it’s not a medical or diagnostic test. It’s just a test simulating the appearance of ships navigation lights at night.
You will not be allowed to wear any kind of glasses or contacts, the examiner will check.

The test is pass or fail.
To pass you need to get all the lights right. In particular they are looking at the red and green

As far as I know transport Canada marine offices no longer have the equipment to give a lantern test.
The last lantern test in took was in Glasgow about 35 years ago.

So if you need one call an MCA exam office and ask if you can make an appointment.

Getting there and back right now? Not sure if it’s possible, probably difficult.

Basically it’s a catch 22.

The current Canadian MPR marine personnel regulations have a provision allowing the option of taking a lantern test.
Currently there is apparently no where to take the test.

However there is also a provision allowing a failure of a marine medical to be appealed.
I would suggest
Send your medical in. You will be rejectEd.
Request a lantern test.

If they don’t come up with a means of taking contact human rights Comision and file an appeal saying you are being discriminated against by TC based an a disability.

It will take a while.

And will only work if you can tell the difference between red and green lights.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 20:55   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

My very first certificate eye exam was the Farnsworth lantern. Had it done at the local university school, they were the only people around that still had the kit. So, might want to look into a university with an ophthalmology department and clinic, they may still have a unit to satisfy some PhD student’s research.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:36   #18

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I Do not know if there is any place in Canada Where you can take a lantern test.
I do no a couple of people who used to work in the marine industry in Canada who are color blind and have failed the standard Ishara test.

They were able to get a restricted medical which prohibited any bridge watch keeping duties.
Naturally this eliminates the possibility of a Comercial deck licence Or certificate of any kind.

If there is anywhere the Lantern test can still be taken in Canada.

Julie Bedard
Director, Marine Medicine & Pilotage Programs.
Might know or should know she is in charge of the program.

Good luck getting a quick answer, at this time, Unrestricted marine medical are taking over 6 months to process.
Or
It is possible if you contact the CMSG Canadian Merchant Service Guild. they will probably know. How or where you can get a lantern test in Canada.

In the UK the lantern test used to be conducted in the Dept of Transport Marine office in major centers where DOT exams were conducted.
Itís now the MCA, it can probably still be taken at a MCA exam office. The test is conducted by an examiner.

I have taken the lantern test, itís not a medical or diagnostic test. Itís just a test simulating the appearance of ships navigation lights at night.
You will not be allowed to wear any kind of glasses or contacts, the examiner will check.

The test is pass or fail.
To pass you need to get all the lights right. In particular they are looking at the red and green

As far as I know transport Canada marine offices no longer have the equipment to give a lantern test.
The last lantern test in took was in Glasgow about 35 years ago.

So if you need one call an MCA exam office and ask if you can make an appointment.

Getting there and back right now? Not sure if itís possible, probably difficult.

Basically itís a catch 22.

The current Canadian MPR marine personnel regulations have a provision allowing the option of taking a lantern test.
Currently there is apparently no where to take the test.

However there is also a provision allowing a failure of a marine medical to be appealed.
I would suggest
Send your medical in. You will be rejectEd.
Request a lantern test.

If they donít come up with a means of taking contact human rights Comision and file an appeal saying you are being discriminated against by TC based an a disability.

It will take a while.

And will only work if you can tell the difference between red and green lights.
Here in the UK the Lantern Test is part of the CAA Pilot's eyesight test. I undertook it at Heathrow after failing Ishihara as part of my UKOOA Offshore Medical as the doctor had never seen anyone actually fail all 25 plates. He suggested it and after I passed with "flying colours" told me the CAA would licence me as a commercial pilot with eyesight like mine.

If you can't get the Lantern Test from a marine center then maybe contact the Canadian equivalent of the CAA and ask them for advice.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 19:25   #19

Well so far I am not having any luck, I have contacted a few provincial Optometric associations and they sent out a email to their membership looking for one with the Farnsworth lantern test equipment so I have my fingers crossed and waiting for news.

Not really feeling it here in Canada !
The Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 14:33   #20

Uk MIN 564 Jan 31 2018.
Marine Information Notice.
Gives the contact info for the 4 MCA approved centres in the Uk. Where a CAD test can be taken.
According to this notice. The MCA will no longer be accepting the lantern test. So it would appear you will need to be referred to one of theses 4 centres for a test.
The notice does mention a transition period but does not say when this ends. Or ended.

City university London. colourvision@city.ac.uk

AMS London
Aeromedical Center
Gatwick
reception@amsgatwick.com

University of Bradford
Bradford

School of psychology
Kings Collage University of Aberdeen
Vision@abdn.ac.uk

Or

Caledonian University In Glasgow,
Aston University in Birmingham
City university in London

Ophthalmology departments have the equipment to conduct a lantern test.

Looks like City university London can do both.

The RYA commercial certificate is a British certificate so probably your best bet is to have the medical in the uk and be referred to one of the 4 centres for the test.

MIN 564 now withdrawn

See MSN 1886 (M +F) July 2020 contains same info with no transition period and
A aeromedical center at Heathrow Added.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 15:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
Well so far I am not having any luck, ...Not really feeling it here in Canada !
Consider contacting aviation medical examiners in your area (link below). This is a common issue and someone in their office should be able to tell you where the nearest lantern is.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur...=&x=&s=1&l=124
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, medical