Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 06:49   #1

Cheapest way to get to day skipper in the UK ?

Hi all

To cut a long story short it has been my dream to get to out on the water for as long as I can remember. Especially more so now to hopefully help me through some health issues I have been having.

I have been saving up but only have enough to pay for a day skipper practical course. I figured out that I can self-study and then sit the practical exam and have made a start on this. However, the problem is that it is a requirement to have completed the competent crew course first.

I don't know anyone who could take me out on the water for a few hours to get some hands-on experience. How have other people got started on a very limited budget?

BTW: I live in the midlands in the UK so live quite far from the sea!

Thanks
Ade2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 20:29   #2

Re: Cheapest way to get to day skipper in the UK ?

Look up the RYA website, according to the site. There are no prerequisite courses.
It is recommended you have some expierience.

Shop around. Scratch every sailing school who try to upsell additional courses.

You will get more out of it if you have done the theory course. Or read the books
Also if you have had some time on the water.

If the RYA cant teach you to Skipper a boat in familiar waters in daylight from scratch.
Pick another organization which can.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 20:40   #3

I'll ask a follow up.

Is a license required in the Mediterranean? And if so, where would be the cheapest place to acquire the required credential?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 20:50   #4

I depends where you go. Some countries and charter companies apparently do.
If you join the RYA they will give you the ICC for no extra charge after the Dayskipper.
The ICC is a Europe thing. It’s a UN resolution and an official government issued and recognized lisence or certificate for pleasure craft. Lots of discussion about where it’s required or not.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 14:39   #5

Boat: Motor Yacht, SanLorenzo 72 ft

http://www.sidaerum.com/
Black Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 19:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade2019 View Post
I don't know anyone who could take me out on the water for a few hours to get some hands-on experience.
The Day Skipper practical course is largely about pilotage, boat handling and vessel management. It presumes that students already have a basic grasp of seamanship. You really need more than "a few hours (of) hands-on experience".

Quote:
How have other people got started on a very limited budget? BTW: I live in the midlands in the UK so live quite far from the sea!
You should investigate dinghy sailing at a local club on a lake or reservoir. Dinghy sailing is fun and affordable, and many of the skills you will learn are immediately transferable to keelboats and yachts.

Quote:
I have been saving up but only have enough to pay for a day skipper practical course.... However, the problem is that it is a requirement to have completed the competent crew course first.
You are misinformed. As UricaneJack has correctly noted, the RYA does not require prior completion of the Competent Crew course as a prerequisite for the Day Skipper practical course (or indeed the Coastal Skipper Course). From the RYA Sail Cruising & Yachtmaster Scheme syllabus and logbook (G15/14): "You can enter the Sail Cruising Scheme at any stage according to your knowledge and experience. There is no requirement to start at beginner's level".

Be that as it may, as you apparently have no experience the beginner's level is the logical place to start. I don't understand why you want to skip Competent Crew, which is specifically designed for novices like you. If you can only afford one course, CC would currently be a more appropriate choice than DS: you will get more out of it and it will certainly fulfil your desire "to get to out on the water", without the pressure of having to demonstrate the ability to take charge. You can always take DS later, when you have saved up more money and have acquired additional experience.

Please note that a DS course completion certificate, while nice to have, will not magically open up a whole range of free sailing opportunities otherwise unavailable to you.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 23:33   #7

Hi if you fancy a run over to Conwy North Wales you can come out with us. We have a 40’ Ferro. We’re always looking for crew. We have some good contacts to get you going in RYA too.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83bdf512-8264-4f4f-bca8-4aaa2993ae47.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	202459  
AmberSands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, skipper