Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 18:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
Re: Captains License

Quick update ........

Passed my master with sailing and towing endorsement .....

Turned in my package a couple of days ago to the Portland, OR USCG processing center ....... was given a USCG number .......

Can't wait to see what I end up with.

Tomorrow 6 am taking off to delivery a CT 38 up the coast to Port Angeles.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

I have been doing lots of deliveries. They ended up giving me 50 Ton Master, with coastal, sailing, and towing endorsements. Also got my ordinary seaman, and wiper added to my ticket.

Planning taking lifeboatman and fire out at the coast at the MERTs facitlity.

Starting to do some major advertising, and all my captains license work gets documented on my wordpress site (http://www.coastguardcaptain.com)
Old 08-10-2015, 12:17   #18

Boat: Columbia 36

Congratulations and good luck with the new career!
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Just did my last delivery this week. Did a total of 11 deliveries since June, about half sailboat, and half power boat with the longest being 1400 miles up the coast.

Lots of repeat customers I believe.

This week I take a full time exempt executive position with jtmarineinc.com here in Vancouver, WA. They are only about 4 miles from my house, and they have qty 10 tugs from 40 feet to 100 feet that I will get to spend time navigating up and down the Columbia river.

http://71.236.195.251/go-sail/wordpr...42a7c91e64.jpg
Old 29-11-2015, 08:47   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As a retired 100 ton Master with a heap of endorsements, my congratulations! I was grandfathered in back in the late 70's after about 25 years towing logs and barges, commercial fishing and beachcombing. A great life and did well financially living in San Diego and delivering sail and power from Panama to Alaska over the years. It is a great life! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:02   #21

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

As a retired 100 tons captain, I salute you.. enjoy your new career.. it's a nice one..
I retired after my first child born past year.. and after 25 years on the water...no more deliveries for me.. just family life..
Old 03-12-2015, 09:41   #22

Boat: '83 Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
So, mackconsult,

Congratulations! I'm thinking about starting the process and wonder if you recommend this learning system? Was it cost-effective and did it cover what you need to know to pass the exam?

- If any posters used a different study method I would love to hear about it!

Thanks-
drpaoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:46   #23
Marine Service Provider

The Mariners Learning System worked for me very well, but it may not be for everybody. I have over 40 years of experience in the marine industry between sailing and fishing. May not be the best for everybody, but it does cover the material quite well. You have to be diligent and study the material. I like it because I was able to take it at my own pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaoletta View Post
So, mackconsult,

Congratulations! I'm thinking about starting the process and wonder if you recommend this learning system? Was it cost-effective and did it cover what you need to know to pass the exam?

Thanks-
Old 03-12-2015, 11:09   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The most important thing in attaining a Masters license IMHO is who you gain your sea time under. I was fortunate to sail under a couple of Masters who cut their teeth on the North Atlantic run back in the 40's and learned more from them about navigation, boat handling and weather than I did studying for my ticket. Not so much on electronics, however because loran was the newest latest and greatest gizmo around when I was learning! GPS... What the hell is that? Just saying, all that glitters is not gold and all you read is not to be believed!
Fortunately, I was pretty much grandfathered in back in the 70's because of my sea time and offshore towboat experience. Not certain I could even pass the written test now! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:19   #25
Marine Service Provider

How true is that definitely good to be grandfathered in on this front. I agree also that it is worth it to go ahead and get the master upgrade. There is a lot in there that is not in the 6-pac. Good to get towing and sailing endorsement, and when you take your package into the coast guard request wiper, able bodied seaman, and other add's that you can get for free. I just started a job here at JTmarineinc.com and will be doing project management on big boat upgrades and will probably get some time driving tugs, and other big boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
The most important thing in attaining a Masters license IMHO is who you gain your sea time under. I was fortunate to sail under a couple of Masters who cut their teeth on the North Atlantic run back in the 40's and learned more from them about navigation, boat handling and weather than I did studying for my ticket. Not so much on electronics, however because loran was the newest latest and greatest gizmo around when I was learning! GPS... What the hell is that? Just saying, all that glitters is not gold and all you read is not to be believed!
Fortunately, I was pretty much grandfathered in back in the 70's because of my sea time and offshore towboat experience. Not certain I could even pass the written test now! Phil
Old 18-02-2016, 15:34   #26

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Hey congrats on your license.

Just wanted to follow your foot steps. I noticed Marine Learning System charges different prices for 6-pac and Master for their training program. But to my understanding, the CG exams are the same. Do you know why MLS prices them differently?

Thanks.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 15:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

6 pac and masters are not the same. Masters is an extension of the 6 pac when it comes to material that you have to study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Hey congrats on your license.

Just wanted to follow your foot steps. I noticed Marine Learning System charges different prices for 6-pac and Master for their training program. But to my understanding, the CG exams are the same. Do you know why MLS prices them differently?

Thanks.
Old 18-02-2016, 15:39   #28
Marine Service Provider

Don't know that the MLS package works good for everybody. With 40 years of marine experience it was the right solution for me. But may not be for everybody ....... It did cover everything I needed to get my license .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaoletta View Post
So, mackconsult,

Thanks-
Old 18-02-2016, 15:40   #29

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Good to know. I guess I must have watched some outdated youtube videos. Thanks.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, license