I took the agents advice.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 09:57   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Boat registration in the EU - as EU citizen

A sailing license is not required in The Netherlands at all for vessels under a specific length. Go Dutch.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:05   #18

Boat: Dufour 425 Grand Large

Just trying to understand this. If you are a Romanian (EU) citizen, why would you not want to register the boat on the Romanian boat register?
Mikeiso1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:11   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I think most of yr questions have been answered already although you might like to investigate Croatia (EU member since 2013)

Tonnage Survey is interesting. My boat is a Jeanneau 43ds (43 feet is about 13.2 metres) but the Tonnage Survey is done on the length of the hull without any extra bits like anchor+shoe etc so my Tonnage Survey shows me as length 12.84 on the registration doc and it is the registration doc that the marinas will ask for. Since the charges usually are listed in integral metres as 10m , 11m, 12m, 13m, my boat being shown on the registry as les than 13 m, is charged with the 12m tarriff. Over the years it has saved me at least 30x the cost of the Tonnage Survey. Might i be deceiving the marina? Possibly, but it is the official registration doc that they always ask for. In fact i have been in some buoy fields in Croatia who gave me a discount by simply saying "let's say you are 11 metres". I was offered the same thing in a Poole marina many years ago.
Best of luck w yr purchase but you never said what it is.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 21-11-2020, 10:20   #20
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31

I believe the Swedish cruising club can offer you a registration:
https://www.sxk.se/english/international-certificate

I registered with them and sent bill of sale. Was very quick too.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
  • The requirements for sailing qualifications is country specific and applies only when you are inside their territorial waters. Croatia is one country amongst others that require qualifications. Countries can enforce whatever rules they wish regarding the boat and crew of whatever registration when inside their territorial waters. E.g. sailing qualifications, safety equipment.
That last sentence is not correct. Certainly not for EU boats and their crew.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:47   #22

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3

- I’m looking at a Beneteau Oceanis 37. I am still in the early phases, but if they accept my offer I will go for this one.
- The Romanian Nautical Authority might be one of the most corrupt and bureaucratic institutions in this country - and that’s saying something. I’d rather leave the EU and never return than have to deal with them. I’d avoid them out of principle, as long as there is any other options, I’ll pursue it.

Is the UK a good option? I heard it’s easy to register a boat there. And an advantage is having the documents in English as opposed to Polish/Dutch/French etc. Or Brexit might be an issue in the future?

The boat is currently under a UK flag - but I’m not sure if that’s relevant.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
What do you mean?
Old 21-11-2020, 10:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
I believe the Swedish cruising club can offer you a registration:
https://www.sxk.se/english/international-certificate

I registered with them and sent bill of sale. Was very quick too.
What’s the total price? Is there any recurring fees or other things you need to do?
Old 21-11-2020, 10:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
A sailing license is not required in The Netherlands at all for vessels under a specific length. Go Dutch.
I would go Dutch if I could. Especially as the prices seem really appealing for EU residents - but my understanding is their “light” registration is no longer recognized in certain EU countries. Worse of all - Spain is one of them it appears. And I will be looking to stay in Spain for a while after purchasing the boat.
My understanding (though I could be mistaken) is that I can stay in Spain for max. 6 months. Longer than that and I will be considered a resident and have to pay 12% of the value of the boat I believe. So I will probably want to avoid that
Otherwise I’d like to stay for at least 1 year - as I have friends and family in Madrid & Valencia.
Old 21-11-2020, 10:57   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
Can I state again as I have here for years , the flag of your vessel DOES NOT imbue it with diplomatic immunity.

Within the territorial waters of a nation including many EU nations you ARE obliged TO FOLLOW whatever laws apply to you and your boat , IRRESPECTVE of what your flag state mandates ( or doesn’t ) comity only applies where it is allowed
Hence you require competency certification in Croatia , irrespective of your flag state requirement , or you must wear a life jacket under certain circumstances ( and have the correct number aboard , irrespective of your flag state , once inside Irish national waters ( as examples )

When will these misconceptions end.

Note after brexit a EU established person should avoid uk registration ( note SSR was only open to uk residents and part 1 requires the appointment of a uk based “ agent “)
Old 21-11-2020, 10:59   #27
Nearly an old salt

Note Italy has recently withdrawn recognition of the Dutch small ships register and several nations are following suit over concerns about the way it allows all comers with little inspection
Old 21-11-2020, 11:02   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
I would go Dutch if I could. Especially as the prices seem really appealing for EU residents - but my understanding is their “light” registration is no longer recognized in certain EU countries. Worse of all - Spain is one of them it appears. And I will be looking to stay in Spain for a while after purchasing the boat.
My understanding (though I could be mistaken) is that I can stay in Spain for max. 6 months. Longer than that and I will be considered a resident and have to pay 12% of the value of the boat I believe. So I will probably want to avoid that
Otherwise I’d like to stay for at least 1 year - as I have friends and family in Madrid & Valencia.
If you become a tax resident , in an EU country , ( usually by being resident > 6 months ) you need to be aware of the consequences In many areas if this happens. It’s not something you want to stumble into
Old 21-11-2020, 11:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you become a tax resident , in an EU country , ( usually by being resident > 6 months ) you need to be aware of the consequences In many areas if this happens. It’s not something you want to stumble into
Interesting, so in order to avoid this, I’d have to keep moving. Are there any Med countries where this is not an issue? e.g. Greece?
To become resident it’s sufficient to stay on the territorial waters for at least 6 months? Aren’t there other requirements? In my mind I’d have to either have a permanent address or work there, but I’m a luddite in this matters.
Old 21-11-2020, 11:20   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
Interesting, so in order to avoid this, I’d have to keep moving. Are there any Med countries where this is not an issue? e.g. Greece?
To become resident it’s sufficient to stay on the territorial waters for at least 6 months? Aren’t there other requirements? In my mind I’d have to either have a permanent address or work there, but I’m a luddite in this matters.
Within the EU , if you are resident >6 months you are “ established “ n that country , that would include being in their national waters

Of course many fly “ under the radar “ and simply stay stum , I know one person that buys a cheap ferry ticket out of Greece every so often to try and maintain the notion his is only “ visiting “. While this might fool the odd policeman , it won’t work if there was ever a serious investigation

Many do it for years typically because they do not earn money in the country or own property there

Tags
boat, registration