Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 16:50   #1

ASA106

I want to take ASA 106 in 2022. I have taken the last couple
Classes at Black Rock Sailing School in RI. They are excellent but they don’t offer ASA106.

What is the best school on the east coast, preferably in the northeast, that teaches it? Anybody have personal experience?
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 16:54   #2

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: ASA106

Maryland School of Sailing out of Rock Hall, MD does a DelMarva circumnavigation for 106.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 13:31   #3

Boat: Cal 35-2
ASA106

I concur with Shimari, I took my 101 - 105 with MD school. I plan on doing my 106 with too but I want to get more sea time before I do.
EvntHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 14:15   #4

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 ketch
Re: ASA 106

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. My husband and I completed ASA 106 last summer with Narragansett Sailing School in Rhode Island. Very few schools in New England teach 106, and when I was looking, those in Maryland had no openings during the popular summer cruising months.
We sailed a Bavaria 42 sloop past the Elizabeth Islands to Martha's Vineyard, through Woods Hole to Buzzards Bay, with a stop at Cuttyhunk before continuing back past Newport to Narragansett Bay. Sometimes students sail to Nantucket if they are willing to make the push and give up some other activity, like exploring downtown Vineyard Haven.
Our four-day trip was scenic and safe with excellent weather. My husband picked up some tips on sail trim, but as he was basically testing through the ASA courses, for him it was a pleasure cruise in an area he had yet to sail.
For me the class was a great confidence booster: selecting a spot to anchor, anchoring (from the helm and the bow), navigating, practicing hove-to in a good wind, heeling over more than I had experienced to that point, cruising at night with commercial traffic (ugh-not a fan), and all the other necessary routines and skills I'm trying to commit to muscle memory. The more experience you have with all of that, the less benefit I would think you would find ASA 106 to offer you, but for me it was a valuable experience.
You are welcome to PM me for further details.
--Cheryl
NavyDave_andMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa